Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding later add-ons?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding later add-ons?

Split from HERE. jblizzle

Not meaning to hijack the OP....but could the same occur if you added an aluminum patio cover 5" from the pool and the cover wasn't bonded ? Would we need to bond anything of metal we add at a later date?

Apparently I hikacked another post and got in trouble once again. Anyway, they were asking about feeling a tingle in their pool and bonding.
    Last edited by smforte; 05-18-2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding later add-ons?

Failing to bond the aluminum frame of an automatic pool cover would create a dangerous situation, but would not necessarily cause you to feel any tingling. It takes at least two things wrong at the same time to feel tingling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for responding Jason. My post may have got lost in translation....I'm referring to an aluminum patio cover 5' from pool edge. Last year, i think but can't swear by it, I felt a slight tingle once or twice when I was in the pool and we have a new patio cover. Was reading a link from the prev thread and it mentioned bonding everything.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The NEC requirement for bonding is anything metallic or conductive within 5' of the inside edge of the pool wall. Outside of the 5' distance there is no code requirement. However, a wet concrete deck (conductive surface) bonded to the pool will be at one voltage potential and the aluminum frame of the canopy can/will be at a different voltage potential. Bonding these is not a bad idea.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Because your structure is aluminum, you cannot connect a copper bonding wire directly to it. If these 2 metals come in contact with each other, corrosion is guaranteed to set in because of electrolysis. Essentially, a battery is created when you connect them together which "eats" up the aluminum. You need to use fittings that are designed for such purposes (they will be marked Al/Cu).

p.s. This problem is why aluminum wire is no longer used in house construction. It caused many houses to burn to the ground.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, so this is a little over my head. Pool is 12 + yrs old house was a foreclosure. I know there is a copper wire coming from the pump motor going into the ground but that's all I know. I had the cover build when I bought the house. Great pool, everything is perfect and no major problems but for some reason I'm still Leary..how one one go about bonding this patio cover?
    Montgomery, AL

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Ideally, you would purchase a CU/AL bonding lug. Any well stocked electrical supply house should have them. Connect the #8 solid bonding wire from that to the closest available point of the existing bond grid/wire such as the bond wire from the pump.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Mike Holt Electric has a nice illustrated guide to Equipotential Bonding you can look at to see if it clears things up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

If you cannot find an al/cu bonding lug, you can use a cu bonding lug provided you coat it well with a conductive grease. NoAlOx is a product that is available at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24280-12704-...ductId=3128351

If you use it, wire brush the aluminum to remove any corrosion that is there. Quickly bolt the lug in place that has a good coating of it the face of the lug and the fastener that will touch the structure. I would also coat the wire before connecting it then, put a thin film on the lug after everything is connected. When adjusting the final run of the wire, do not allow it to touch the aluminum anywhere unless it has an insulation jacket.

Bare aluminum starts to corrode very quickly so, you need to have everything ready to go before you wire brush it.

Unlike greasing a car, there is no need to reapply this grease once the connection is complete.
    Steve

10. Back To Top    #10

Gonna get the hubs to look this over. Can I bury the wire I add? The cover is pretty close to my pump.
    Montgomery, AL

11. Back To Top    #11

During construction of IG pools, bonding wire is buried except where it connects to the pump and other filter related equipment so, I would say yes, you can bury it.
    Steve