Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

1. Back To Top    #1

"opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

What is the quickest, easiest, least expensive and most effective way to clean this now that I've drained it? I'm dreading this part - but mostly because I'm not sure where to start...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terre Haute, IN
    18 X 48 Intex Ultra-Frame AG
    Intex Saltwater Generator/sand filtration system

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: "opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

You will probably have the best luck puttin 1ft of water back in and using a leaf net to scoop it out. Don't leave your pool empty for too long or your liner could shrink. Other option would be a shop vac to vacuum it out as it. Just make sure it is a wet dry as I am sure the debris is wet.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

A garden rake would destroy the floor. So would a pitchfork. So a shop vacuum would be my first choice. Remove the vacuum cleaner filter when vacuuming soggy stuff.

Next choice would be to set some children inside and tell them you won't put the ladder back until they bag all those leaves.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you Lisa ~ Good point about not leaving it empty! yikes - I hope i haven't hurt it. I think it quit draining 4 or 5 days ago. I'll use a net to get most of it, then maybe finish up with a wet/dry vac. Although that may be a bear to clean out as well after this mess! lol

- - - Updated - - -

I like it Richard!
    Terre Haute, IN

5. Back To Top    #5

Plastic, flexible leaf rake. Something you can scoop the leaves up with, but not damage the liner. Once you've got everything you can out by hand, use a shop vacuum to suck out the rest of the small stuff.

Then scrub the whole inside down with a 50/50 household bleach solution (a brush on a broom handle helps) then rinse with water and drain. Fill it up and get to work balancing the water chemistry.

Get dirty, get it all out carefully and start clean.

EDIT: I also like the 1 foot of water and leaf rake idea!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

This is going to sound more complicated than it is but we we had out 16ft pool I would remove about half the uprights and that would lay one side of the pool on the ground. I'd them take out a few sections of the top rail tubing and take a broom and sweep as much gunk out as I possibly could. Then take bleach and the broom and scrub the bottom and all areas that were nasty. Then rinse it all with the water hose while sleeping the grossness out. Get as much of the nasty water swept out as you can then set the side back up as it was and add a little water and use a wet/dry shop vac to remove the final nastiness and then begin filling it back up.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

7. Back To Top    #7

Push broom and plastic shovel or just broom and use your hands to get most of it out.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you all so much for your help! It already seems more doable now.
    Terre Haute, IN

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jmhjgh View Post
    Push broom and use your hands to get most of it out.
    +1. Get yer hands dirty!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

lol I'm gonna need rubber gloves and boots! Ewww
    Terre Haute, IN

11. Back To Top    #11

I haven't gotten much done since I posted this question. Hose issue, then sickness, then weather and finally, being gone.

My husband says the frogs making the huge racket in the back yard are all living in the pool! Yuck! Anyone know how to handle a frog problem?
    Terre Haute, IN

12. Back To Top    #12

Weeeellll... Other than scooping them out and setting them "free".... I think a pretty big dose of chlorine when you start slamming might either kill them or run them off.
    I never had frogs in mine but before I found TFP my swamp had a lot of disgusting bugs that looked like crickets living in it. (until the chlorine killed them!)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Hmmm guess I have my work cut out for me. haha
    Terre Haute, IN

14. Back To Top    #14

I also read online that they don't like salt water. So maybe once I get it up and running with the swg they'll stay away? (I still use the swg/sand filter system)
    Terre Haute, IN