Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low Pressure with Pool Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Low Pressure with Pool Cover

I recently put on a solar pool cover 20'x40' on my IG pool. The Cover is not cut to fit inside pool perimeter but instead lays on the pool deck. The cleaner runs 6 hours during the day with a timer while I am not at home. The following Saturday I noticed the cleaner not on, breakers tripped. After resetting the breaker to the house and the pump I turned on but it popped again. After looking at the wiring I saw a wire behind the timer which was too close to metal (possible arc). I seated the wire better, reset breakers again and turned on. The pump runs but with a low pressure so I turned off. I live in Southern California pleasant weather low 70's. Recent rain and three small earthquakes within that week.

Am I suffocating the pool with the cover? Or something else causing the low pressure?

I checked the baskets and little or no debris. I think the pump is out because all I am getting is 5 psi. I just don't know why the pump would go out or the breakers trip however all I read here is the cover would have nothing to do with it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low Pressure with Pool Cover

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The cover should not be impacting your pump/cleaner at all.

Are you sure the cleaner is not just clogged up?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It it possible that you have a 220v pump but still have another wire loose or disconnected so you are only getting 120v?
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

4. Back To Top    #4

A 230V pump should not work at all if one of the LINE wires is missing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!