Restoring a polyethylene pool slide

Jun 1, 2011
Carlsbad, NM
I just purchased a SR Smith Vortex slide for my pool. The slide was at a Holiday Inn, and the new owners thought it was too much liability. The slide is 10'7" tall and 19' long, $14k new! Overall it is in great shape as it is only three years old, and was used on an indoor pool. I am currently blasting and powder coating the metal parts. The plastic needs a little bit of work. I have already removed the salt and scale with muriatic acid. I'm looking for something to restore the bright blue color and to protect it from UV rays. Anybody have suggestions? Picture is not my slide, I'll post after install.
inground-pool-slides.jpg

Good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing it. I'm not much help on the topic though...

I need to find a slide on the cheap too. I've been thinking about refinishing my fiberglass slide for over a year, but don't want to tackle it as DIY. It's insane (in my opinion) how much even a basic new slide costs.

I used to use an automotive product to freshen up the look of plastic bumpers on an old car of mine, but I can't remember the name of it specifically. I have heard good things about "303 Aerospace Protectant." It has 40 SPF sunscreen added in for UV protection. I can't comment on whether it would leave a greasy feeling or wash off into the water. Though you might need a 55 gal barrel of it! Good luck.

The 303 is what I just bought to use on my autocover after I clean it.

Finished the slide install this weekend. The kids loved it.

844_zpsdfeutuvn.jpeg

What a great picture!! You can't help but smile when you look at it!

I can't tell whose smile is bigger - the child's or the adult's?!! Now we need one just as you guys hit the water!

It was more than worth the work to repair. Well done! Have fun! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.