Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Restoring a polyethylene pool slide

1. Back To Top    #1

Restoring a polyethylene pool slide

I just purchased a SR Smith Vortex slide for my pool. The slide was at a Holiday Inn, and the new owners thought it was too much liability. The slide is 10'7" tall and 19' long, $14k new! Overall it is in great shape as it is only three years old, and was used on an indoor pool. I am currently blasting and powder coating the metal parts. The plastic needs a little bit of work. I have already removed the salt and scale with muriatic acid. I'm looking for something to restore the bright blue color and to protect it from UV rays. Anybody have suggestions? Picture is not my slide, I'll post after install.
    inground-pool-slides.jpg
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Restoring a polyethylene pool slide

Good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing it. I'm not much help on the topic though...

I need to find a slide on the cheap too. I've been thinking about refinishing my fiberglass slide for over a year, but don't want to tackle it as DIY. It's insane (in my opinion) how much even a basic new slide costs.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I used to use an automotive product to freshen up the look of plastic bumpers on an old car of mine, but I can't remember the name of it specifically. I have heard good things about "303 Aerospace Protectant." It has 40 SPF sunscreen added in for UV protection. I can't comment on whether it would leave a greasy feeling or wash off into the water. Though you might need a 55 gal barrel of it! Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The 303 is what I just bought to use on my autocover after I clean it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never tried it but Wipe New gets decent reviews on a car detailing forum that I'm a member of.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Automotive, boat, etc. plastic can be "restored" with super fine steel wool and a heat gun here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vS6F8EHxI to the general technique.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Automotive, boat, etc. plastic can be "restored" with super fine steel wool and a heat gun here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vS6F8EHxI to the general technique.
    I'm going to try that when I get home this evening. I'll report back with the results.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

8. Back To Top    #8

Tried the heat gun, no improvement. Must be the type of plastic. I did purchase some Meguiar's Back to Black to try. The wife worked on a small area and the results are promising.

9. Back To Top    #9

Finished the slide install this weekend. The kids loved it.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

What a great picture!! You can't help but smile when you look at it!

I can't tell whose smile is bigger - the child's or the adult's?!! Now we need one just as you guys hit the water!

It was more than worth the work to repair. Well done! Have fun! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by smracing View Post
    Finished the slide install this weekend. The kids loved it.

What an awesome slide! I want to come swim
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.