Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combined chlorine = 0 but hot tub still has bleach smell

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined chlorine = 0 but hot tub still has bleach smell

Hi all,

Quick question re: CC and smell. As I understand it, the chlorine smell is caused by combined chlorines. We switched over to bleach recently and keep it at about 8 - 10ppm due to our high CYA level and no time to dump just yet. When we lift the cover, we can smell the bleach smell, not overpowering like a public hot tub/pool, but it's definitely there. In the water, I scoop some up and sniff and really don't smell it. Our CC as of our most recent test yesterday was 0 (when I did the FC test and then added the 5 drops of R-0003 (Taylor kit), we didn't have any pink at all. In past weeks it's been 0.2 since one drop in a 10ml sample turned it from the light pink back to clear again.

If this smell we're smelling normal?

thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined chlorine = 0 but hot tub still has bleach smell

Tell us more about your tub
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok that's weird, thought it was in the signature... 500 gallon Jacuzzi J-385. Got it new in late December 2014. Still on the first water fill. Had been using MPS/mix with Nature2, water went cloudy and nice folks here walked me through switching to 8.25% bleach (didn't realize that as CYA level went up, FC ppm needed to raise, hence cloudy water and shocked it to resolve that). That was all over a month ago. Water went back to crystal clear and the bleach method is pretty easy to deal with tho I'm still in testing each day mode in order to make sure I know normal daily FC loss with no bather load (about 4.5 - 5ppm) and also the per person hour FC loss (about 5.5ppm). Given our CYA level, 90, we keep the FC between 7 and 10ppm.

As of yesterday's weekly maintenance (filter rinse, not a change this week) and testing:
    pH: 7.2
    FC: 8.0
    CC: 0.0
    Alk: 80
    CH: 110

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

One more for you what is the water temperature?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, welcome back Watson. How come you haven't drained that tub yet?

Did you add borates? No, you shouldn't smell chlorine. But, given the amount of time since last drain and the conversion to bleach I really think you should drain and start over with fresh water, borax and CYA.

I know you have read this a few times, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Spa-(or-pool)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

yep, 500 gallon will cost you about a dollar to change out that water I change mine every 6 months just cause....
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Temp was at 102 but since we skipped right from winter to hotter than **** we dropped it to 100F.

My mom's had some health issues we've had to deal with so there just hasn't been the time to do anything but relax in it a bit before bed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Bummer, sorry, us too actually. That is lots of work!
    We're down to 98 in our tub.

Ok, how about adding borates?
    put 28oz of 20 team mule borax and 14oz of 31.45% muriatic acid in your tub. That will help.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Are our TA and pH at ok levels to do that or should our TA be a bit lower yet? It looks like it would be a net loss of 0.6 on the pH to do that (TA would be a net 0 apparently) so I almost think my pH should be higher before I start the Borax + MA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Honestly I would not do too much with it until it has been refilled with fresh water

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey, you're pretty handy with that poolmath! Yes, would need to tweak ph. Don't see your TA level up there.

Did the checkbox for show signature get unchecked? Lower left.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

If the smell is like a bleach smell and not a bad pool smell then it probably is chlorine because 1) hot water outgases chlorine faster and 2) the hypochlorous acid gas (which is mostly what it is, not chlorine gas itself) will build up under the cover so when you remove the cover you are getting the most concentrated whiff of it. That's why you don't notice it once in the water.

The chlorine/CYA relationship is different at higher temperature so you probably don't need to have the FC as high as you have it even with the CYA being high -- at least if you keep the tub hot. Also, one generally starts a soak with a lower FC level, usually in the 1-2 ppm range, but that's with a "normal" CYA level of around 30-40 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

TA is 80 (sorry, I wrote it as Alk above)

Looks like I could just add about 7.5oz more Borax once I get the Borates to 50ppm to raise the pH from the (assumed, I'd test first) 6.6 back up to 7.4

Definitely not a bad pool smell, it's like a load of white laundry after it's done the spin cycle. (i.e. not the strong initial bleach, just the faint smell at the end of the load).

We've been working to keep it so that 24hr after the soak, we're still in the 8 - 10ppm range. We happen to soak about 24 hours from the last dose time so even when we're getting in, it's about 8 - 10ppm. Tho it's good to know if it was a bit lower than that when we got in, it's ok.

14. Back To Top    #14

If you change out the water, you will do yourself a great favor by making sure everything is clean by using AH-SOME..... then, refill....

15. Back To Top    #15

Have the ahh-some ready to go, just a matter of getting time to do it with all else going on.

16. Back To Top    #16

Good point.... it took us about 5 hours total, from first dose (OMG, that was nasty) to last clean dose....

17. Back To Top    #17

Did you just keep draining and filling until the ahh-some wasn't dredging up "yuck"?

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes, I think you should try dropping to 4-5 at soak time and see if that helps and if the water stays clear then go 3-4 and see what happens.
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Ah ok, didn't realize that the CYA chart was more for pools and not the high temp of the hot tub. Since we lose about 5ppm in 24 hours with no bather load and about 5 - 5.5ppm / person hour I've been targeting 10 and then adding 10ppm so I'll see what happens if I target 4 - 5ppm at soak and add the 10ppm post soak.

20. Back To Top    #20

Losing 5 ppm FC in 24 hours with no bather load is quite high. Do you have an ozonator?

What is the size of your spa? The 5 to 5.5 ppm FC per person-hour would be around 450-500 gallons if there was no ozonator but with an ozonator the chlorine usage would normally be lower since ozone oxidizes at least half of the bather waste before chlorine reacts with it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast