New to Pool Maintenance - test kit has arrived. Advice on what to do next

Cat_Dallas

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2015
Dallas Texas
Hi all,

I've spent the last week or so, reading up on Pool School. My test kit arrived and I've done as many of the tests that I can.
Background - our pump was out of action for about 5 days due to when our fence was replaced, the contractor took the electrics box off the fence and some how shorted the electrics. Took a few days to get an electrician out and by the time the pump was operational, the pool was a swamp. Followed the local pool supply shop directions to kill off the algae (added Green Clean and chlorabrite) but just can't seem to get it under control. We've had a lot of rain here lately as well (Dallas, TX). Wish I had found and red this site before spending the $$ at the pool shop.

Went out of town on Friday evening, pool was in pretty good shape visibly. Got back Sunday morning - algae all over again. Husband swept sides and bottom and added 3lb clorabrite and backwashed. I had just received my kit yesterday and tested the FC - it was 5. This morning, pool looks ok visibly, a couple of bits of green marks on steps and I have just got through running all the tests I can. Here are the results:

PH - 7.4
FC - 0
CYA - >100 (redid the test using the add tap water and it came out at 140)
Alk - 90
CH - 350

One other thing. It appears our SWG is hosed. New one is arriving tomorrow and I hope to be able to fit it. I have been and bought bleach at Walmart in anticipation of further slamming required. At this point, from what I've read, I think I need to get the CYA down and I assume that draining and re-filling is the best option at this point. Am I moving in the right direction ?

Something is wrong on the CYA test, tap water is CYA free, oops misread, assuming you mean you used half tap water, then your CYA is way too high, partly due to those stabilized chlorine products from the pool store and you need to drain and replace half your pool water to get to the upper acceptable CYA range.

SWG broken - new one arriving Thursday. Plus a combination of stuff from the pool store which my husband added per their directions prior to us actually understanding the chemicals through reading the info on this site. Pool draining is in progress.

Update. Partial drain and refilled pool (helped luckily by rains last night as well). Tested CYA, this morning, a touch over 80. Whilst not perfect, much improved so I decided to go with this.
Used Poolmath and calculated I needed 14 jugs. Added it and tested FC after 30 mins, it was 33. after another 1.5 hours, tested again - FC was 28. Added another 1.4 jugs to bring back up to 31. Pool is looking sparkly clean (it was;t in bad shape anyway, but eating the FC). Will test again in another 30 mins and see where the FC is at. Pictures below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132633270@N07/shares/2Ang0N
https://www.flickr.com/photos/132633270@N07/shares/Di00X9

Sounds like a good plan. Nice pool! Looks good! This SLAM will probably not take very at all. CYA will come down over time with splash out and ALL the rain that seems to be never ending this spring!

I thought I would post a quick update. Was able to complete the overnight FC loss test after about 3 days of keeping the FC at shock level. Unfortunately, following that, we had nothing but rain and no sunshine so it literally took from then till yesterday for the FC to drift down to 5.5. I've added nothing in 2 weeks and although we have installed the new salt cell in the SWG, it has remained off given the high FC. Tested daily and checked my PH and FC to ensure it was safe to swim with the hopes of a break in the rain.
Kids had a blast yesterday when finally the rain stopped and the sun came out. Just used Pool Math to figure out the salt I need - have added it and now need to try and get the SWG producing at the right level. Pool is sparkly clean and hubby is very impressed with me :)
Love this site and the amazing advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So yesterday, my tests showed FC 4.5, TA= 80 and PH = 7.6. Salt was at about 1900. I added 200lbs of salt and tested with the salt test strips. They say it is 3130 and the SWG says 3400.
Set the SWG to 50%
Just tested this morning and below are the results:
FC=7
CC=0
PH=7.8
TA = 80

Do you think I need to worry about that PH which has risen from 7.6 to 7.8? I read a few other posts which talked about the gas aerating something when adding salt. Perhaps test again later today?

Plug your TA and PH numbers in to Poolmath and set your TA target to 80 and your PH target to 7.2 and add however much acid it says to add. It is important to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 Salt tests are +/- 400 or so. If the SWG is happy and making chlorine then everyone is happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.