Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentaire Cartridges

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentaire Cartridges

Is it time to replace my cartridges? Ive had my Pentair size 75 cartridge for my 9000 gallon fiberglass pool. Recently after cleaning them, the pressure I get when installing them is 10 psi. Within 5-10 hours, the pressure icnreases to about 20 psi. My pool is really not dirty; I have a feeling that the filter is clogged with either calcium (my calcium was on the higher end). I use the Taylor kit for measurement. I use the TFP method of using bleach only.

The cartridges are about 4-5 years old but living in the NE they are used only for about 5 months a year.

I clean them by placing them in a bin, add dishwasher detergent then let them soak for 24-48 hours. Then I rinse with garden hose cleaning until nothing but water comes out on the bottom.
    The pool chemistry is all within order. Even the CYA is 40.

Should I replace them?
    Any other advice will be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentaire Cartridges

As long as you are sure you aren't having early stage algae bloom. Has your FC level dropped below the minimum for your CYA this spring? Chlorine CYA Chart One of the first signs of an algae outbreak is a rapidly clogging filter and higher chlorine consumption.

If you do get a new cartridge, I recommend the Pleatco filters. They work better for me than the Pentair OEM filters.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a similar experience last year. Ended up replacing with Pleatco.

The discharge pressure with the clean Pleatco cartridges was lower than clean OEM cartridges.

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like an algae bloom to me.

If the filters were calcified, the pressure would be always high not just after some run time. The fact that the pressure goes from a low pressure to a high pressure means you are filtering something out of the water and it usually is an algae bloom that causes this.

After cleaning, does the pressure go back down to 10 PSI?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Time for a SLAM.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

WOW Great responses. No algae in the pool but the pool Cl was a bit low before I posted this which I corrected. I think that may be the answer. Shame on me for not thinking that.
    The pressure goes down after washing them. I did do an acid wash yesterday as recommended by the links above. The pressure went to 10 from 20. 8 hours later the pressure was up to 13.

I appreciate the help being offered. Thank you.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gorji View Post
    No algae in the pool but the pool Cl was a bit low before I posted this which I corrected.
    Note that algae is not always visible at the start but can still clog up a filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I wouldn't use anything but Pleatco for my filter.

I ended up buying two sets. One to clean up the pool and one set for the remainder of the season.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

+1 to algae not being visible in the pool at first.

Here is the life cycle of an algae bloom as you would see it:
    chlorine consumption increases due to increased organic matter
    filter starts to clog due to algae reproducing and being killed by chlorine
    pool water starts to cloud as algae level increases and chlorine consumption increases
    pool water turns green when there is more algae than chlorine to kill it
    somebody posts on TFP "HELP, my pool is a Swamp!"

This is why it is important to test regularly (i won't say daily) to monitor chlorine level and notice if the increased consumption is based on higher temps, more sun, more swimming, etc. If the higher demand can't be justified then beware! Always make sure that chlorine is above the minimum for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart and you will never have algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach