Starting Up a New Pool

Lomag

Aug 25, 2014
New Jersey
Hi All!

I've got my ground all prepared and I'm ready to put up our new Intex 24 x 52 with Sand Filter and SWG. I've been researching the chemicals and procedures and think I have it down but I wanted to post for others since I couldn't find a concise thread about this and for any comments. The pool holds 12,500 gallons and I'll be following the TFP method, not Intex or anyone else.

So I basically will fill up the pool with the garden hose. Once it's done I've read that I need to add 320 lbs of morton salt, just dumping it in around the perimeter? At the same time, add about 5 lbs of CYA in sock placed by the return, to get the CYA to 50 initially and enough bleach to reach 2 ppm FC to give the SWG a running start. PoolMath told me it's about 52 oz of 6% bleach? I just wanted to confirm that I put in these 3 items initially, then turn on the pump only for 24 hours. After 24 hours, then turn on the SWG and check the other chemical levels, PH, TA and CA and adjust accordingly? Then after about a week, check the CYA and FC levels and adjust accordingly? Am I missing anything? When would be the best time to check and adjust the chemical levels? In the evenings?

I've read to disable the copper ion thing in the intex swg so I'll do that. Intex says I should run the pump 8 - 9 hours a day for this size pool. Does that mean the pump and SWG run those same 8 - 9 hours? It seems to me like the pump should run the 8 - 9 hours and the SWG timing should be adjusted to give me the proper FC count right? According to Intex I believe the SWG should also run for 8 hours but again, that would depend or do they both just run together? Does anyone else have this 24' round pool with SWG?

I've purchased the TF-100 test kit which should arrive tomorrow. I was planning on going to the pool store tomorrow to get some chemicals, CYA, Ph Up and Down, and something to help me adjust the TA and CH if needed. CH seems to be least important on a vinyl pool?

Thank you all for any advice!

If it were me, I wouldn't buy any chemicals yet. I would wait until that test kit arrives and then test the water (if you're using tap water, test the ph and TA of the tap water). That could give you a ballpark of what you will need. CYA and bleach are the only givens. Then just buy what your test results show you need, which might mean muriatic acid, borax, baking soda, etc. The acid I would buy at Lowe's, everything else at Wal-Mart. In my area at least, Wal-Mart is the cheapest, and far cheaper than a pool store, which will really push you to buy their chemicals anyway. I prefer to avoid the sales pitch. :) Wait and buy the bleach when you're filling or filled up though, so you get it fresh. We ran into trouble with our install and have had delays - bleach would be old (ie-less effective) by now. :(

Just FYI I believe the operating manual for the SWG says to have your pump run 2 hours longer than your SWG. I just opened my pool and here is what I do. Fill pool, take initial tests (testing tap water) plug in test results in TFP calculator. Add bleach, cya and verify you have your chlorine levels set. Add salt to pool, run pump for about 8-10 hours, then turn on SWG. After the SWG runs for allocated time, next morning take levels test, adjust accordingly.

Welcome! :wave:

Disabling the copper ionizer- good idea.
Ordering a TF100 - excellent!
Going to the pool store- terrible idea.

The only chemical you need that is a little odd is the stabilizer aka CYA. And that's widely available in the pool section of big box stores and hardware stores. The other stuff is massively overpriced just because they stick it in a fancy container and say it's for pools. Head for Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot instead. What to use and how to add it is in Recommended Pool Chemicals.

You know you'll need bleach. You know you'll need CYA. Whether you need acid or borax or baking soda is unknown without test results. You won't need any Calcium for a vinyl pool, but you will want to know what your level is, so test it. Don't bother testing CYA since there won't be any in the fresh water. Save the reagent.

It's pretty easy. Once the pool is full and circulating and you've checked for leaks, Go ahead and dump in 2 ppm bleach. Poolmath will tell you how much that is. Then measure out your CYA granules into a sock and tie it shut. Shoot low. You can always add more later. Then adjust pH. Then adjust TA if it needs to go up. Half an hour between additions is plenty. Your pool will be a bleach pool for a couple days until the CYA dissolves all the way. Your SWG won't be able to keep up with the demand until you have some CYA in the water.

I'd let the water warm up a few days and then add the salt and have Diamond Day. See Post 5 After the salt has mixed for a day, fire off the SWG and start experimenting with pump run times and SWG percentages. There's an article in Pool School on Determining Pump Run Time.

Thank you for making this thread. I was just about to ask the same questions, but you took care of it for me!

I am setting up the same as you btw, just smaller. I have the 18'x48".

My only additional question is, is the pool safe to swim in immediately once full? Eyes might burn a little from ph, and I assume do not stick your head right next to the cya sock. Otherwise safe though?

Thank you for making this thread. I was just about to ask the same questions, but you took care of it for me!

My only additional question is, is the pool safe to swim in immediately once full? Eyes might burn a little from ph, and I assume do not stick your head right next to the cya sock. Otherwise safe though?
Your kids bathe in that same water, don't they? :scratch:

Following this thread as well. Setting up my 10x20 Intex this weekend and had same questions. I'm new to all of this and some like to help and others don't care to.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Your kids bathe in that same water, don't they? :scratch:

Yes we all bathe in the same water but I believe previous poster is referring to after the cya sock and anything else you put in such as salt etc.

Thanks

Following this thread as well. Setting up my 10x20 Intex this weekend and had same questions. I'm new to all of this and some like to help and others don't care to.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we all bathe in the same water but I believe previous poster is referring to after the cya sock and anything else you put in such as salt etc.

Thanks

Yes I was referring to the water after chemicals were added. On second thought I am just going chem free on day 1, adding chems that evening, and pool closed on day 2.

Thanks Guys. I will skip the pool store and get the chemicals from Target and Lowes. Has anyone used Jasco Green Muriatic Acid from Lowes? It supposedly doesn't smell so bad?

When you add chemicals like muriatic acid or borax or whatever, how long are you supposed to wait for it to "mix" into the pool and re-test for updated results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Guys. I will skip the pool store and get the chemicals from Target and Lowes. Has anyone used Jasco Green Muriatic Acid from Lowes? It supposedly doesn't smell so bad?

When you add chemicals like muriatic acid or borax or whatever, how long are you supposed to wait for it to "mix" into the pool and re-test for updated results?
The green label acid is weaker than the blue label acid. You're paying premium prices for water. With the exception of the CYA, half an hour with the pump on between chemicals additions is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.