Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Record Rainfall - Pool Flooded

1. Back To Top    #1

Record Rainfall - Pool Flooded

So we've had record rainfall this month in Dallas. This weekend we had a ton of rain and I woke up Sunday AM to cloudy green pool that was nearly overflowing. I'm guessing it overflowed/flooded with all the rain we had that night and debris/dirt got into it. Lots of standing puddles in the yard. Not to mention a giant bullfrog swimming in it.

I brought the water level down to normal levels and did a backwash of the filter. I plan on starting a quick SLAM today. The salt levels also dropped by 1,000 ppm overnight, so I'll need to add that as well.

Is there anything else I should do to get this back in working order? I imagine my CYA might also be off.
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Record Rainfall - Pool Flooded

Just tested. Off as expected, but suprised to see TA and CYA so low. I've never seen pH low before.

FC 0
    pH < 7.0 (yellow)
    tA 150
    CYA < 30

With CYA being so low, should I go ahead and shock using trichlor (which I have on hand) vs bleach?
    Last edited by Dagobah; 05-18-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: pH not TA!
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600

3. Back To Top    #3

Dagobah,
    According to pool calculator, I plugged in your numbers and it shows that if you use 1 lb-10 oz. of Trichlor it will raise your FC by 5.1...Raise CYA by 3.1....lower PH by 0.27
    Can anyone else confirm this? Thx.
    P.S. looks to me that your TA is not low like you stated. It seems high to me. It should be between 80 & 120
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by whataboy View Post
    P.S. looks to me that your TA is not low like you stated. It seems high to me. It should be between 80 & 120
    You're right, I meant pH!

5. Back To Top    #5

Raise the pH to the low 7's before starting the SLAM. Once the pH is fixed you can use trichlor but keep track of how much you add. I wouldn't raise it above 40 until the SLAM is complete.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process