If it takes 21 drops of base to get your pH up to 7.4...

Unfortunately, the instructions in the test kit don't tell you how to use the base demand test. The acid demand test is pretty good, though.

So you plug in what you see. Is the color close to 6.8? Then plug that in for now. You might be lower than that. But you have no idea how much lower. So you have to work up to it.

As I said in our lengthy PM exchange, plug in your pH and TA values into pool math. Use 20,000 as the volume. See how much Borax it says to add to adjust pH, and add half that much. Let it mix half an hour or more then retest pH and TA. You need both to do the calculations you need. Then add half the Baking Soda it calls for to get to 80 TA and let that mix. Retest pH and TA again and just plug in what you see, even if it's still below the lowest color. Then add the Borax it calls for. Let it mix and retest pH and TA again. When the TA gets to 60 or above, concentrate on adjusting pH only using Borax. At some point, when you enter 6.8 as now and 7.4 as target, you'll see the color shift. Then you can do this :party: At that point, you're in the normal zone and things should get really easy.

Once you start doing it, it will make more sense.

Unfortunately, the instructions in the test kit don't tell you how to use the base demand test. The acid demand test is pretty good, though.

So you plug in what you see. Is the color close to 6.8? Then plug that in for now. You might be lower than that. But you have no idea how much lower. So you have to work up to it.

As I said in our lengthy PM exchange, plug in your pH and TA values into pool math. Use 20,000 as the volume. See how much Borax it says to add to adjust pH, and add half that much. Let it mix half an hour or more then retest pH and TA. You need both to do the calculations you need. Then add half the Baking Soda it calls for to get to 80 TA and let that mix. Retest pH and TA again and just plug in what you see, even if it's still below the lowest color. Then add the Borax it calls for. Let it mix and retest pH and TA again. When the TA gets to 60 or above, concentrate on adjusting pH only using Borax. At some point, when you enter 6.8 as now and 7.4 as target, you'll see the color shift. Then you can do this :party: At that point, you're in the normal zone and things should get really easy.

Once you start doing it, it will make more sense.

Thank ya! Don't know what I'd do without you !!!! :lovetfp:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW... I should put in my TA as 40 on the calculator, right?

10-4!!! It called for 99 ozs by volume so I added about 50 ozs just now. Pre dissolved it in a tub. That stuff is a booger to get to dissolve good!

Would it be ok to go ahead and add some bleach so I won't get an algae problem while waiting on my cya test reagent and have to slam?
If so, what would you say would be a good number to shoot for?

Yay! After adding an intial 50 ozs. of Borax and 6lbs (called for 12lbs) my ph still wasn't registering. TA went up to 50. So, I added the other 50 ozs. it called for and went to town. After coming home I retested and pH was showing 7.0 and TA is 70. I plugged in my new figures of 7.0 on pH and my TA. It told me to add 87 more ozs. of Borax. I am going to retest it in the AM. My FC was showing 1.6. That worried me because I didn't want an algae bloom while waiting on my extra CYA reagant... So, I looked at the CYA/Chlorine chart and 8 was a pretty common level for a CYA level of 70-100. So, I put that in as my goal and it told me to add 161 ozs. So I did. It feels so good to finally see the pool heading in the right direction as far as my numbers. I am just crossing my fingers for a big CYA level drop from all these drains/refills. We will see tomorrow!

Yay! After adding an intial 50 ozs. of Borax and 6lbs (called for 12lbs) my ph still wasn't registering. TA went up to 50. So, I added the other 50 ozs. it called for and went to town. After coming home I retested and pH was showing 7.0 and TA is 70. I plugged in my new figures of 7.0 on pH and my TA. It told me to add 87 more ozs. of Borax. I am going to retest it in the AM. My FC was showing 1.6. That worried me because I didn't want an algae bloom while waiting on my extra CYA reagant... So, I looked at the CYA/Chlorine chart and 8 was a pretty common level for a CYA level of 70-100. So, I put that in as my goal and it told me to add 161 ozs. So I did. It feels so good to finally see the pool heading in the right direction as far as my numbers. I am just crossing my fingers for a big CYA level drop from all these drains/refills. We will see tomorrow!

Hey! That is some good TFPC-speak! :goodjob:

Isn't it awesome to know what you need, what to add, how much to add, what result to expect and have it show up on your test??? It's magic!

See? I told you it would start to make sense once you started doing it. :D

;) I just hope I made the right call on adding the bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! That is some good TFPC-speak! :goodjob:

Isn't it awesome to know what you need, what to add, how much to add, what result to expect and have it show up on your test??? It's magic!

It is awesome and soooo handy. Who would even need a pool store???

21 drops of base demand is quite a bit. It seems unlikely that your initial TA could have been 40 unless your CYA is very high. Has the pool been on trichlor tabs for a long time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
21 drops of base demand is quite a bit. It seems unlikely that your initial TA could have been 40 unless your CYA is very high. Has the pool been on trichlor tabs for a long time?

Yes, my cya is record high I reckon... After dumping half my pool it is still 200

Previous owner kept 12 tablets in floating ducks at all times and shocked one a week regardless of chemistry. I inherited a mess

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.