Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non stabilized puck for auto chlorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Non stabilized puck for auto chlorinator?

Relatively new pool owner here. I see HTH makes a non stabilized puck, why is it I can't use that in an auto chlorinator and avoid growing CYA problems?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non stabilized puck for auto chlorinator?

If it is a CalHypo puck it melts much too quickly to use in an auto chlorinator.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the tabs are just chlorine, I see no problem. Just watch the list of ingredients and know what you are putting in your pool.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bdex View Post
    As long as the tabs are just chlorine, I see no problem. Just watch the list of ingredients and know what you are putting in your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    there are no "just chlorine" tabs. The chlorine needs something to bind to to stabilize it. CYA, calcium and lithium are the three things you will find in solid forms of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    there are no "just chlorine" tabs. The chlorine needs something to bind to to stabilize it. CYA, calcium and lithium are the three things you will find in solid forms of chlorine.
    Very true.

I cannot easily find good info on the hth tabs in question. Again, know what you are adding to your pool. If you have low calcium fill water and are constantly adding calcium chloride and that is what is in the tabs, could help. Just be careful and keep a close eye on your test results. How are you testing your water?

The general consensus is going to be SWG or LC.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Folks, I'm closing this thread to draw attention to a potentially very dangerous situation.

Putting cal hypo pucks into a chlorinator that has been used for trichlor pucks is a huge problem.

It can cause the chlorinator to explode. You should never mix chlorine types, and that includes using a different type of chlorine in a chlorinator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat