New Pool Build - Water Behind Liner Question

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello All!

I'm going through a pool build right now in Tennessee (we are ALMOST finished), and the weather just hasn't cooperated since the build started in JANUARY! We've had an abnormal amount of snow and rain, but recently after a lot of other small issues, my liner has been installed, the pool is full of water, and the concrete deck has been poured! I live in a hilly area, and my backyard from the back of my house to the back of my property (about 60 feet) slopes down probably 6 feet. After the concrete was all set in place, I had the pool builder come back in and backfill some of the area with the dirt he dug out for the pool to make the slope more gradual on the backside of my pool. It's still somewhat steep but it couldn't be avoided.

So, over the last several days, we've gotten about 4 inches of rain. I can see the rain running off around the edge of my concrete deck, and it's not really pooling anywhere in my backyard to speak of, but I'm getting water behind the liner at the waterline in the pool. There are probably a dozen or so bubbles in the liner on the backside of the pool (none on the uphill side closest to my house), but only at the waterline, and quickly disappearing if you dip below the line. I understand that this typically means groundwater is up to that level in my pool, but with the steep drop off in the backyard, I'm a little surprised at that. However, that's not the REAL reason I'm here anyway.

I want to know what I should expect my pool builder to do about the water behind my liner, if anything, and how much I should expect to pay over what I've already paid, if anything. I haven't had the best experience with them so far, and I've had to speak with the pool company owner several times about issues I've been having, and here I come with another one. But I don't know if I should be expecting to pay more for them to do work to fix this, and what work I should be expecting them to do. I would like to get the issue resolved now so that in a year, if this happens again, I don't have to come back to them and pay them again, but I don't know if I should be expecting to pay to have this fixed now, or if this is something they should address as we're still in the midst of my build. There is no French drain or other drainage around the pool.

I want this done correctly so that I'm not having to pump water from behind my liner every time it rains, but I'm a little out of my depth here with what I should expect my builder to do without charging me MORE money. Thanks for any help or insight!

Photo attached below shows one of the bigger bubbles just below the coping shot almost straight down at the edge of the coping. Liner should pretty much not be visible on the side wall as the coping overhangs, but you can see it due to the bubble. You see it tapering off on the right edge to an almost normal configuration.

Those are my thoughts Azgirl, but I can already hear him asking me (the rhetorical question), "Did we put a French drain or drainage in your contract? I can't remember. Let me check." And then he's going to try to charge me for it after the fact, having never offered me any of those options up front. I had a lot of other things on my mind during the early phases of this, and I never thought about needing something like, and he never said anything at all about one. I figure since they install pools all the time in this area, that if I needed something to prevent this or POSSIBLY needed it, I would've been offered it by the PB--at a cost I'm sure but probably less of a cost than it will be now AFTER the fact.

I am sorry you PB did not make all the options available to you upon signing the contract and the install. I would be ticked and even if he is not the best guy to deal with persue them making it right. In know it is a headache for you. Does the guy you are talking to have a supervisor?

The main guy I've been working with said they're going to send someone out to address it. I'm assuming that means somebody is coming out to pump the water out from behind the liner, but that is just a temporary fix.

I've been in direct contact with the company owner (this is a large, multi-store pool company as well--I just happen to know the owner personally), but we haven't talked about this, yet. I've only been talking to the sales rep so far.

So the bubbles went down on their own due to better weather, but it rained again over the last day or so, and the bubbles are back, and they're looking bigger I think. I hadn't thought about something that might be causing the issue, though (or at least contributing to it). The guy that poured the concrete used that foam stuff between the coping and the stamped concrete deck as a spacer, but nobody ever filled in that expansion joint with caulk or anything. So water can get down the joint between the coping/pool wall and the concrete deck. Again, I feel like this is something they should have done the first time. I'm not sure it's the main cause of the liner getting water behind it, but it probably isn't helping.

Does anyone think that the pool company shouldn't have sealed that joint?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.