Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie needs help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie needs help.

ok so I got my Taylor Test kit yesterday.

I tested with a small Taylor Test kit my chlorine level on Friday and it was 10... used my new K-2006 kit today is my Combined Chlorine and Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine are 0. I did the test twice friday and twice today.

Why would my pool go through so much chlorine? I know my cyanuric acid level is high... K-2006 test states 160. Last year we went thought 1 jug a week now its 2 or more..

Help!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie needs help.

Glad you received your kit. Can you post a full set of results?

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

- - - Updated - - -

Also how does your water look. Have you added any bleach since you know you FC is 0?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I havent added anything yet.

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    PH -7.4
    TA - 100
    CH - 370
    CYA - 160 (dumb pool store said 100)

And my pool looks awesome! But I think it will be tinging green by this afternoon without any chlorine.
    Last edited by kwamhoff; 05-18-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: adding info
    - Krista
    Longwood Florida
    24,900 Gallon InGround, Marcite Pool built in 1979
    Hayward Cartridge Filter last replaced March 2015, and Cleaned every 5 days religiously
    I net my pool in the AM and PM daily and brush my pool every 3 days

4. Back To Top    #4

The short answer is: you've probably got algae gearing up for a full blown algae bloom.

If CYA is 160, your minimum FC level shouldn't dip below 12. You were only at 10. Seems high, but not with astronomical CYA. So.... there wasn't enough FC to keep the algae from starting, and once it began, it started growing exponentially and ate up all the chlorine. And the longer you let it go, the amount of chlorine it will take to be rid of it will go up exponentially, too.

Cure: Shock Level And Maintain. But that's going to be tough with CYA at 160. Nearly impossible. You'll need this.

I suggest replacing a whole bunch of water to get CYA down to 50 or less. And then SLAM. And then make sure you never let FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have already drained my pool 30% once this month! THANK Heavens I am not on any water restrictions.
    - Krista
    Longwood Florida
    Hayward Cartridge Filter last replaced March 2015, and Cleaned every 5 days religiously

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Ha ha ha, i LOVE this one !!
    Sorry for my english, je suis francophone
    I live in north, no ice in my pool since may 1 !
    Stylus aboveground swimming pool 45 000 liters
    18' round and 52" high with sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Does CYA every go away on its own? I was reading that at some point it turns into Ammonia.
    - Krista
    Longwood Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kwamhoff View Post
    I have already drained my pool 30% once this month! THANK Heavens I am not on any water restrictions.
    The big question then is: How did the CYA get so darned high? Were you feeding it pucks, or adding powdered shock every week or something? Whatever it was that caused CYA to go up so high, stop it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kwamhoff View Post
    I havent added anything yet.

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    PH -7.4
    TA - 100
    CH - 370
    CYA - 160 (dumb pool store said 100)
    Thanks for you numbers. The pool store probably cannot read any test over 100 for CYA
    As for CYA you will need to do partial drains and refills to get that down. You probably have a lot of sunny days in FL so you would want to bring it down to around 50.

FC with your CYA so high it is not on the chart. For 100 it says target 12. Go with that for now.
    Is your pool clear?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

I did stop it. I had 1 pool store telling me PUCKS PUCKS PUCKS (4 in Skimmer basket and 4 in floater) along with 1 jug of chlorine weekly. Thought he was smoking crack so i went somewhere else.

Another telling me to use this powdered stuff weekly for 6 months (Contained Dichlor). It was easier but I am now paying the price for the ease.

I am sooooo tired of the Pool store train. Got me a mini kit and realized it wouldnt do the trick. Just got my K-2006 kit yesterday. I knew my chlorine level would be low but not that low.

I tried Leslies Pool product Bio-Active twice and it didnt do a thing for my CYA level.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - The pool looks awesome right now! But by this afternoon it will start to turn light green.

- - - Updated - - -

All the stores i have been to say phosphates are causing algae a course my phosphate levels are considered high... 300.
    - Krista
    Longwood Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

If it is starting to turn ligh green, then you have an alge bloom starting as Richard said. At least add enough bleach to target 12Fc for now and do drain refill to get CYA down. You will likely have to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Phosphates don't cause algae. Low FC causes alge. Don't worry about the phosphates.
    Lisa