Green tint in water and brownish sides

Jun 24, 2014
Montreal QC Canada
Good morning,

First official season for the tiny IG fiberglass pool installed last summer. Now that everything is clean and numbers look good water has a green tint and the sides are slightly stained under the winter water line. I also have small "rust" stains in many areas. I now remember these issues did come up at the end of last season but I didn't take care of THEM then.

PH 7.6
FC 6.5
CC 1
TC 7.5
TA 90
CYA 70
CH 175
86° F

After reading many (too many?) posts, I think I have metal in my water and I should add a sequestrant agent. Would this clear the greenish water? I think I should only try to fix one issue at the time, makes sense?

Thanks for your help

Bienvenue au TFP!

Definitely sounds like metals in the water and you are correct that sequestrants can be used to manage this condition. Sequestrants must be replenished periodically to keep the metals in suspension and prevent them from redepositing as stains or tinting the water. Given that you would need to use sequestrants on an on-going basis, I'm going to put another alternative on the table. Given the water volume of your pool, have you looked into the option of draining your pool and refilling using either municipal water or trucked in metal-free water? That would be a one-time cost. It's at least worth looking into. It may turn out to be more economical than ongoing dosing with sequestrants.

BTW, here's more info on sequestrants: Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Merci! 13 minutes for an out of the box solution!

Draining completely and refilling? Hadn't thought of that... Since municipal water is free and the only real cost would be 2 bags of salt it may be the easiest solution. Since this issue came up after 2 months of pool use last year should I do something to prevent this? Should i simply plan to replace the water in July?

Thanks again!

I would have the house/fill water tested. See just how bad the metals are in it. Go from there. IF it is real bad then see about having fill water brought in every once in a while OR find a way to collect and save rain water.

Kim

I had mine done at my local extension office. The most common tests are copper, iron, and minerals.

I do not know if the pool store can/will do the test. I do not really trust them to do any testing so.......

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.