Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green tint in water and brownish sides

1. Back To Top    #1

Green tint in water and brownish sides

Good morning,

First official season for the tiny IG fiberglass pool installed last summer. Now that everything is clean and numbers look good water has a green tint and the sides are slightly stained under the winter water line. I also have small "rust" stains in many areas. I now remember these issues did come up at the end of last season but I didn't take care of THEM then.

PH 7.6
    FC 6.5
    CC 1
    TC 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 70
    CH 175
    86 F

After reading many (too many?) posts, I think I have metal in my water and I should add a sequestrant agent. Would this clear the greenish water? I think I should only try to fix one issue at the time, makes sense?

Thanks for your help
    2650 gal (10k litres) IG Fibro F20 Fiberglass, 1 HP Hayward SuperPump, Hayward Pro series top mount filter (glass filled), Pentair intellichlor
    Salt Chlorine Generator, Savi Melodi LED light (1), Bowman CN-200P Cupro-Nickel Heat Exchangers (plumbed to domestic natural gas hot water tank)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green tint in water and brownish sides

Bienvenue au TFP!

Definitely sounds like metals in the water and you are correct that sequestrants can be used to manage this condition. Sequestrants must be replenished periodically to keep the metals in suspension and prevent them from redepositing as stains or tinting the water. Given that you would need to use sequestrants on an on-going basis, I'm going to put another alternative on the table. Given the water volume of your pool, have you looked into the option of draining your pool and refilling using either municipal water or trucked in metal-free water? That would be a one-time cost. It's at least worth looking into. It may turn out to be more economical than ongoing dosing with sequestrants.

BTW, here's more info on sequestrants: Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Merci! 13 minutes for an out of the box solution!

Draining completely and refilling? Hadn't thought of that... Since municipal water is free and the only real cost would be 2 bags of salt it may be the easiest solution. Since this issue came up after 2 months of pool use last year should I do something to prevent this? Should i simply plan to replace the water in July?

Thanks again!
    2650 gal (10k litres) IG Fibro F20 Fiberglass, 1 HP Hayward SuperPump, Hayward Pro series top mount filter (glass filled), Pentair intellichlor
    Salt Chlorine Generator, Savi Melodi LED light (1), Bowman CN-200P Cupro-Nickel Heat Exchangers (plumbed to domestic natural gas hot water tank)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have the house/fill water tested. See just how bad the metals are in it. Go from there. IF it is real bad then see about having fill water brought in every once in a while OR find a way to collect and save rain water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Excuse my ignorance, but is this test usually performed by my local pool supply store? Any specific results I'm looking for?

6. Back To Top    #6

I had mine done at my local extension office. The most common tests are copper, iron, and minerals.

I do not know if the pool store can/will do the test. I do not really trust them to do any testing so.......

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Replacing the water proved easy, quick and effective!
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B01G4TcsmGjVAWe

What test should I perform in the future to see the raise in metal? Monthly pool supply store test?

Thanks again for all the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a link to a post I found when I googled "metal testing for pool water". I don't know if it works but it looked neat.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...est-for-metals

Here is a post from a while ago in TFP

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...est-for-metals

I hope this helps.

Kim