Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool liner?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Montgomery AL

New pool liner?

When should a pool liner be replaced?

I have no idea how old this one is, almost all color is gone from the bottom, and there is one place it looks like there is a "fuzziness" to it in about a foot circle. So I know it needs done soon, but can it last this season, I really don't want to wait for the pool to warm up again this season it's almost swim able now. I know you can't tell from the picture, but there it is anyway
    In ground vinyl lined pool
    20' x 20' about 3' deep for 5' then 6' at the deepest (10,600 gallons?)
    Bought the house two years ago (35 year old house), pools been here a long while!
    Sand filter pump is two speed (on or off) has no gauge...
    Test kit is Taylor K-20006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New pool liner?

Liners slowly get more brittle as they age. At some point that will lead to a split/tear in the liner that is long enough to force replacement. Some people like to leave them in until they fail, others try to guess when their liner is about to fail so it can be replaced at a time of their choosing. Fading is only a very approximate indication of the need to replace the liner, as different types of ink fade at different rates. The average lifetime is roughly ten years, but there can be a lot of variation in that, with some liners failing much earlier and others lasting much longer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School