Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Plumbing Look Correct?? Have Pics

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Plumbing Look Correct?? Have Pics

Does my first attempt at plumbing these items look correct. Everything is dry fit right now. I know I need to complete the suction side but need another 3 way valve which I ordered this morning. Does it matter that the first three way valve after the salt is turned and not utilizing the side that is stamped "Inlet" ?

thanks

Attachment 36582

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Plumbing Look Correct?? Have Pics

There are several things that could be improved, though I don't think that any of them are critical.

It is better to have some straight pipe in front of the pump before the 90.

It is better to have the input to both of the three way valves come in the center port, rather than one of the side ports.

The white sweep 90s do not appear to be schedule 40. You want all of the plumbing fittings to be schedule 40.

I am assuming the black fittings are CPVC. You want CPVC on the pump outlet and both the heater inlet and outlet.

There are significant advantages to having a couple of inches of straight pipe between things. That gives you places to cut the pipe and make changes in the future.

It is best if the SWG is several inches above the heater outlet. You can do that with the existing setup, just slope the straight section of pipe after the heater up a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Use unions where things may have to come apart in the future.

Make sure you have room to move around in the back of things.

If you put a T instead of a 90 at the pump outlet, you can then install a threaded bushing and a hose bib in the extra leg in case you need to lower the water level after a massive downpour or for winterizing.

If one of those 3ways after the SWG feeds a spa, you don't want the SWG before it. You'll overchlorinate it in spa mode.

That's all that springs to mind based on my own setup's shortcomings.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Like Jason said all those sweep curve fittings look like DWV drain pipe, not Schedule 40 pressure pipe, you can tell by the half length glue fittings. You can probably get away with DWV pipe fittings as long as they are above ground. My pool was plumbed with them and 4 times in the last 10 years I had to cut up the concrete to get to and fix a leak caused by the use of the wrong type elbow fitting when the pool was built.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I beleive they are all sch 40 fittings? I should have bought street fittings, (one with a male end and the other end a female) but I ended up buying a box of these instead. The schedule 40 2'' pipe I am using fits perfect. MAybe I am confused? Also do I need any check valves?

thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Do I need to slope my return and drain lines for winterizing? How deep do my plumbing lines need installed? My pool installer said that I do not lower the water level when winterizing something to do with my automatic cover needs the water for support? But wont the returns and skimmer freeze? confused

6. Back To Top    #6

On a chlorine tablet chlorinator setup you need a check valve between the heater and chlorinator. Not sure with the salt water variety.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHEVY4X4 View Post
    I beleive they are all sch 40 fittings? I should have bought street fittings, (one with a male end and the other end a female) but I ended up buying a box of these instead. The schedule 40 2'' pipe I am using fits perfect. MAybe I am confused? Also do I need any check valves?

thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

Do I need to slope my return and drain lines for winterizing? How deep do my plumbing lines need installed? My pool installer said that I do not lower the water level when winterizing something to do with my automatic cover needs the water for support? But wont the returns and skimmer freeze? confused
    Those are DWV fittings and not designed for pressurized systems. The short bonding area for the solvent weld is the key difference.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

I see. I will get different ones from Menards or Lowes if they have them. So use nothing with DWV labeled on it???
    The 10' sticks of PVC say DWV on them is that OK to use ??? The pipe is schedule 40 it is made by Charlotte Pipe True Fit 7200 2" PVC type 1 schedule 40 NSF DWV ASTM D 2665

9. Back To Top    #9

the 10' sticks at Lowes are dual rated DWV / Schedule 40 so are fine, it is just those DWV fittings with short glue joints that are the problem.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

What type of glue? Medium set PVC glue?

11. Back To Top    #11

medium set PVC is good for all the white joints, not sure what the others are, I usually use blue rain or shine, but medium set is a little easier to work with and is clear