Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness readings

Hi. I wanted get some opinions. I just opened my pool. This was the pools first opening. When I test calcium, I get 560. When I take a water sample to the Anthony Sylvan store, they showed 330 this past Friday and 270 Saturday. My kit is a Taylor and I bought it last year. I keep it in indoors. Is the solution still good?? I need to make a decision on whether to drain water. Lastly, I also posted a few days ago of "crystal like stuff" being sucked up by my Polaris 360. It looks from the responses that this is calcium sulfate. Maybe this is why the readings are high?.....but baffled why the store is showing normal readings

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness readings

Pool store results are notoriously wrong.

Tip: use 10 ml sample of water and each drop counts as 25 CH. Makes it faster. 10 drops of R-0010, 3 (I use 5) drops of R-0011, and then count the R-0012 like normal.

Do you have hard water? You'll know it by clogged up coffeemakers and showerheads. If so, 560 is actually pretty good.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed, and trust your own results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Richard. I did what you said already. I get 14.....which means 560 CH. Is my kit still good being a year old??

- - - Updated - - -

Oh....One more thing. I filled my pool last May, not this year and it was my house water. I don't think my water is that hard. Also, all last year my CH levels were fine with my Taylor testings and the store I go to. So, I don't know what is going on here

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dubele View Post
    Hi Richard. I did what you said already. I get 14.....which means 560 CH. Is my kit still good being a year old??

- - - Updated - - -

Oh....One more thing. I filled my pool last May, not this year and it was my house water. I don't think my water is that hard. Also, all last year my CH levels were fine with my Taylor testings and the store I go to. So, I don't know what is going on here
    14 drops of R-0012 in a 10 ml sample gives CH of 350. I think it's just a simple arithmetic error.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Richard. I don't have my kit in front of me, but from memory I think the instructions for 10 ml is to multiply the number of drops by 4......14x4 is 56....times 10 is 560. Right?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dubele View Post
    Hi Richard. I don't have my kit in front of me, but from memory I think the instructions for 10 ml is to multiply the number of drops by 4......14x4 is 56....times 10 is 560. Right?
    No. 25 ml sample = 10 per drop. 10 ml sample 25 per drop. Your CH is 350.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm a big dummy.....but a relieved big dummy!! I read the instructions too fast and read what I wanted to understand. Thanks Richard!!!!