Above ground pool as a gift for sister, need some info please...

OK, so I am getting ready to buy a pool {gift for my sister}, above ground 24'x54". Me and my 2 brothers are splitting the cost $1,000 each so our budget is $3000. She has well water so we will need to budget $350 for that...

I have a 1hp pump and filter already {they were from my inground, we switched to larger 2 speed pump and different filter, so this one was used 1 season}...

We were thinking this pool http://www.inyopools.com/RecommendedProducts/NB1241

this liner http://www.amazon.com/Mystri-Gold-R...F8&qid=1431949792&sr=8-2&keywords=24+54+liner
or this one not sure the difference if any http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swimline-24...598?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c443d036

this ladder http://www.ebay.com/itm/Confer-7200...460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4067752c

this kit http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-NA3...1431950592&sr=8-20&keywords=pool+kit+cleaning

That puts us around $2600 with the water, sand, and blocks, I have equipment so I am going to do the site work myself and we are going to assemble the pool ourselves also {I figure with us 3 and my 2 kids we should be able to handle it.}...

I would also like to set this up for salt water, which I have no idea what we would need for that or if it will be in budget {I dont mind spending a bit more of my own money though}...

So How does this look and tips, ideas, or info on better units or better prices? And also any info on salt water systems would be appreciated too....
Thank you in advance guys...

Before we get too far down the road, and I really don't mean to rain on your generous gift - but is this something your sister wants, has the time to maintain and the finances to maintain? A pool is like a child, care and feeding everyday. A good test kit, chlorine, acid and other chemicals are an ongoing expense. Plus at the end of the swim season you have closing expenses.

Depending on the installation/site you could also need electrical work for several hundred dollars.

Now, if this is still going forward, remember to budget:
Padding under liner $200
Test kit/supplies $125
Start up chemicals $50

Salt water would make chlorinating a little easier, but figure a few hundred dollars more.

Before we get too far down the road, and I really don't mean to rain on your generous gift - but is this something your sister wants, has the time to maintain and the finances to maintain? A pool is like a child, care and feeding everyday. A good test kit, chlorine, acid and other chemicals are an ongoing expense. Plus at the end of the swim season you have closing expenses.

Depending on the installation/site you could also need electrical work for several hundred dollars.

Now, if this is still going forward, remember to budget:
Padding under liner $200
Test kit/supplies $125
Start up chemicals $50

Salt water would make chlorinating a little easier, but figure a few hundred dollars more.

Hello, and thank you for your reply..

She has been saving for the pool since she bought the house, so she wants it, she recently had to spend that savings plus some on medical bills...

As for the electric service, when she bought the house it was foreclosed, someone stole the electric panel and the base board [all the copper actually}. Me and my brother went in and installed a 200a panel, a furnace, central a/c, and pex plumbing... When I ran the service for the A/C condensor, I ran an additional 2 lines {for a future pool pump and heater}...

So that is done...

I had no idea there was a padding need for under the liner, where can I find that?

Thanks for the reply, I know all about the expenses, when I built my house we did a gunite pool {spent over $100K} and just in taxes it adds $120 a month, lol....

PS why can I not see my original post?

I'm an in ground unite pool guy, so I'll let some of our AG experts jump in on padding options.

Understanding that due to the depth of the pool you are looking at you are outside the electrical code exception (42" depth limit) for a "storable pool" so you will have to meet the National Electrical Code Article 680 as well as any local restrictions regarding pool access. The access issues usually deal with fencing or other means to exclude people from the pool.

Here are a couple of links for NEC 680 compliments of Mike Holt Electric. I would suggest looking at the "bonding" requirements which is a different topic than "grounding"

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/SwimmingPoolInstallations~20021227.htm

http://www.mikeholt.com/download.ph...80_Pools_and_Similar_Installations_PART_2.pdf

One other issue to look at is her homeowners insurance. Many insurance companies and policies have rules/exclusions when dealing with a pool unless it meets the insurance companies standards. My insurance company actually had an inspector come out to the house and go over the pool prior to issuing me my policy.

You guys are awesome looking after Sis for sure! NOW.............get HER on this site so she can start learning how to properly maintain that rascal. the pad you're talking about is commonly called a gorilla pad. Might give a teency tiny bit of different feel, but a sand bottom is just fine. Spray that prepared pool area to kill nutgrass too!

I'm an in ground unite pool guy, so I'll let some of our AG experts jump in on padding options.

Understanding that due to the depth of the pool you are looking at you are outside the electrical code exception (42" depth limit) for a "storable pool" so you will have to meet the National Electrical Code Article 680 as well as any local restrictions regarding pool access. The access issues usually deal with fencing or other means to exclude people from the pool.

Here are a couple of links for NEC 680 compliments of Mike Holt Electric. I would suggest looking at the "bonding" requirements which is a different topic than "grounding"

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/SwimmingPoolInstallations~20021227.htm

http://www.mikeholt.com/download.ph...80_Pools_and_Similar_Installations_PART_2.pdf

One other issue to look at is her homeowners insurance. Many insurance companies and policies have rules/exclusions when dealing with a pool unless it meets the insurance companies standards. My insurance company actually had an inspector come out to the house and go over the pool prior to issuing me my policy.

She is actually an insurance agent, The pool pump is actually going to be enclosed, the electrical should be fine if not way over kill as it is right now. Her yard is fenced so that should not be an issue. She lives in a rural area, we are not going to be pulling a permit, haven't pulled one as of yet so why start now :) ....

I agree though some towns and insurance companies and be a real problem, luckily where we are we don't have too many issues, when I built my house the inspector came 3 times, once when I finished my site work, once before we closed up the walls {there for 5 minutes}, and once when it was finished to issue the CO!!! 4500 sq feet and his final inspection took 16 minutes, I was surprised he got out of the car to do it :) ....

You guys are awesome looking after Sis for sure! NOW.............get HER on this site so she can start learning how to properly maintain that rascal. the pad you're talking about is commonly called a gorilla pad. Might give a teency tiny bit of different feel, but a sand bottom is just fine. Spray that prepared pool area to kill nutgrass too!

Are family is a team so when one of us is happy we are all happier... She had a pool at her old house in Florida, she moved back to New England and has missed it ever since.

So does my list look OK, am I forgetting anything?

What would it take to make it salt water?

The pool pump is actually going to be enclosed, the electrical should be fine if not way over kill as it is right now.
im not worried about the amount of power you have to run the parts, I'm worried about the safety of her and the family. The Exponential Bonding Grid is separate and apart from the power supply system. It is system that bonds all parts of a pool together so there can be no potential differences that can harm somone. Just having GFCI's and things like that are not enough.

im not worried about the amount of power you have to run the parts, I'm worried about the safety of her and the family. The Exponential Bonding Grid is separate and apart from the power supply system. It is system that bonds all parts of a pool together so there can be no potential differences that can harm somone. Just having GFCI's and things like that are not enough.

I understand and I will look into it, there are not many metal parts to the pool, I will research this a bit more, I know that with metal ladders, trim, and fences, they need to be bonded not to get nuisance shocks {when we were young if you touched the ladder and the top of my parents pool you would get a tingle, my father simply bonded them together and it never happened again...}...

Thanks...

- - - Updated - - -

A Salt Water Generator and some salt!

I was thinking this for the generator...

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520555-IntelliChlor-Chlorine-Generator/dp/B001DSLLH4/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_y with this {?} http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520556-IntelliChlor%C2%AE-Chlorine-Generator/dp/B000VE3HD2/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_y I am not sure about sizing though?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, so we ordered the pool and the liner, my brother found a company that sells the 7200 ladder for $150 {after tax}, he is going to pick that up this week, I have a couple filter cartridges for my old filter and I am going to pulll it all out and clean the dust off of it tonight...

Everything should be here by the end of the week, I may be able to install it this weekend, she leaves for Florida Friday night and is going to be gone for 2 weeks which should give us plenty of time to get it installed...

I just need to decide on a salt water system and that should be all the materials we will need....

Congrats on ordering everything. I am sure your sister will love it! I have the 7200 ladder. I really like it despite it is a bit of a paint to put together it is very sturdy. Warning have to hose ready to fill the legs as soon as you set it in the pool. It may take 2 people. It will not sink until inside legs have water in them.

Congrats on ordering everything. I am sure your sister will love it! I have the 7200 ladder. I really like it despite it is a bit of a paint to put together it is very sturdy. Warning have to hose ready to fill the legs as soon as you set it in the pool. It may take 2 people. It will not sink until inside legs have water in them.

Thank you for the heads up about filling the legs, my brother picked up the ladder today, I pulled out the pump and filter I have and went through it to get it all ready, the liner shipped today, my other brother ended up picking up a wall pad, foam cove and gorilla pad also when a friend of his told him it was a good idea, so she should have a real nice pool when we are done...

I think the AquaRite is a good choice, the replacement cells are cheaper and you have more control of the output than with the stand-alone Intellichlor.

BTW, the AquaRite is designed to be hardwired for electrical power and bonded. Not sure what you plans are for electricity and pump etc given it is an AG pool.

I think the AquaRite is a good choice, the replacement cells are cheaper and you have more control of the output than with the stand-alone Intellichlor.

BTW, the AquaRite is designed to be hardwired for electrical power and bonded. Not sure what you plans are for electricity and pump etc given it is an AG pool.

Thanks, just ordered it, got a $70 discount so it came to $700 even, that was a nice surprise...

So my brother just emailed me how close we are to budget, lol...
So far
$1570 for the pool
$293 liner
$150 for the ladder
$50 for the tool kit
$50 for the test kit
$252 foam cove, wall, and floor
$49 for salt
$88 for blocks, stone, and sand
$14 for a gauge for the filter {it was broken since I bought it, never read right}
and $700 for the swg

So we are just a couple hundred over, I should have everything to plumb and wire it, hopefully she has a real nice pool when we are done that will last her a long time...

I am going to try and find the extra led lighting from my when we did my pool, and I have 20 or so rectangle {16x24"ish} blue stone blocks that I am going to make her a little make shift patio with outside her basement door and to the pool...

I am really more excited than I thought I would be about this project, its going to be a little of work but she is going to be so excited about it, although one of my brothers is not happy about going over budget because Namco quoted him $3200 installed, but that was for a cheaper pool, very basic, no salt water, still using my pump and filter, and it didnt include anything, no ladder, tools, test kits, etc... I still think we are in good shape...

Thanks again for the help guys, any more tips would be greatly appreciated, we should be breaking ground this weekend...

OK, so we ordered the pool and the liner, my brother found a company that sells the 7200 ladder for $150 {after tax}, he is going to pick that up this week, I have a couple filter cartridges for my old filter and I am going to pulll it all out and clean the dust off of it tonight...

Everything should be here by the end of the week, I may be able to install it this weekend, she leaves for Florida Friday night and is going to be gone for 2 weeks which should give us plenty of time to get it installed...

I just need to decide on a salt water system and that should be all the materials we will need....

She doesn't know she's getting a pool does she? lol I wish I could see her face when she gets home. You guys are the best brothers a sister could have!

I'd suggest you order the TF100 from tftestkits.net so She can test her water accurately. If you don't have one, you should get one too. Also, print off the ABC's of pool water chemistry n study it.

She doesn't know she's getting a pool does she? lol I wish I could see her face when she gets home. You guys are the best brothers a sister could have!

I'd suggest you order the TF100 from tftestkits.net so She can test her water accurately. If you don't have one, you should get one too. Also, print off the ABC's of pool water chemistry n study it.

My pool is taken care of by my landscaper for the most part, its been crystal clear since it was installed, they do a great job and its something silly for added cost to my landscaping bill, my wife spends much more just in flowers for the deer to eat....

We bought her this test kit http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNO...id=1432089389&sr=8-1&keywords=tf+100+test+kit

She has NO idea we are doing her pool, my youngest brother almost let it slip, but his gf luckily covered it up seamlessly so they say. She has no idea though because she would never let us do it, she is our older sister and always takes care of us, she would not want us spending money on her, when I installed her Hvac system and plumbing I had to lie and say I all the materials were left over from other jobs, lol.

She is worth it. We were going to plan a cookout for the day she comes home so she came home to a pool party at her house, BUT her flight comes in at something like 3:10am, lol, that may not be as fun as it sounds, I am sure the neighbors wouldn't like it. So we are going to let her come home, and just show up around noon time after she gets home, she will be sleeping the pool is in the back yard, so she shouldn't see it, I have her dog so she wont have to let him out, it may work, or she will see it early and we will miss her face, I may put a trail camera out there just in case lol...

She is going to love it, I have no doubt about that, she comes to my house all the time and uses the pool, she is the first one in the water at my lake house every year, she is definitely a "water child", she was swim team all through high school and while at B.U. this pool is going to get a lot of use, she stopped having summer parties when she got moved, her old house used to be the go to cookout party spot in the summer, we all miss that...

I will definitely take pictures, its gonna be a process. I think we will be able to get it done, I built 40 unit developments from forest to finish, so I should be able to handle a pool, lol...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.