Question About Non Chlorine Shock Treatments

Hi all,

I purchased a home last fall with a 24' above ground which is my first pool and been a bit of a learning curve. I like the concept this website follows for maintaining your pool and am ordering a Tf-100 in the next few days. My question revolves around non chlorinated shock. I blindly followed a local pool companies advice to open my pool a few weeks ago and added an IPG pool opening kit which included a stain blocker, Algecide and "Oxy Pro" sanitizer.

Having read the beginner articles, being able to measure CC seems pretty important. Have I messed up my pool now and made it more difficult to self test by adding Oxy stuff???? What do I do to recover from this if it was an error.

The pool company tested my water on a spin lab thingy and came up with the following numbers.
FC 0.01
TC 0.2
CC 0.19
PH 6.4
TA 4
CH 15
CYA 52

I don't thnk the previous home owner did anything but add pucks based on stabilizer and alkalinity levels so I fear I'm not going to be able to use an auto chlorinator I got this winter and will need to use Clorox all summer. I brought my TA, CH and FC up closer to where they should be based on the pool calculator but think I will wait till I have my test kit before adding more.

I have a vinyl liner so Low CH isn't that big of a problem is it? Pool place said I need to get it to 200-300 but that seems excessive from what I've read and I'm now shooting for 150 or so.

I'll post current numbers once I can but I would like your opinions on where I'm at so far. Thanks for your input.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We really can not offer any meaningful advice until after you can supply good test results from one of the Recommended Test Kits.

And I would not make many adjustments based on these results ... beyond raising the pH into the 7s with borax.

You are correct though that low CH does not matter in a vinyl pool.

The MPS chlorine free shock should work its way out of the water within a week or so (maybe less). Until then it will show up as CC on the common test, there is a special, and somewhat expensive test that will tell the level of MPS, but it is usually not needed unless you have special circumstances.

p.s. if those numbers are even close, you need to get some chlorine in that water now before it turns green. I would suggest getting a cheap $10 OTO/pH test kit and keep the chlorine around 3-5 ppm using bleach / liquid chlorine until your good kit comes in

I threw a couple of pucks in and also added liquid bleach according to pool calc to bring chlorine up and am keeping an eye on it with test strips until kit arrives.

So the stuff in non-chlorinated shock will be gone in a few weeks?

Am I going to be resigned to using liquid chlorine all summer because of my CYA levels or will limited trichlor be ok?

Am I going to be resigned to using liquid chlorine all summer because of my CYA levels or will limited trichlor be ok?
I'm afraid the CYA you have listed is at the higher end of what we would be recommending for a non SWG pool. But, the good new is that the CyA test is the one pool stores mess up the most. The bad news is that they generally report too low.

As Jason said, until we get reliable numbers there is not much guidance we can give. For now I would eliminate all solid forms of chlorine and stick to liquid until you get your test kit and verify the readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.