Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternative Pool Construciton Methods

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

Alternative Pool Construciton Methods

I am starting this thread to ask what types of alternative in ground pool construction are you aware of that is currently being utilized in the industry outside of the common gunite, shotcrete, vinyl liner, pre-cast fiberglass pools, or buried above ground pools? In the past we have seen everything from repurposed steel landing craft to hybrid concrete pools with fiberglass walls used in swimming pool construction.

So what else is out there, and what are your thoughts on it as a viable alternative to conventional in ground pools?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Alternative Pool Construciton Methods

Interesting you should ask this because I'm starting the long term planning of what I think will be an alternative pool. We have just purchased a house in the mountains that will become our retirement house in the next couple of years. The house is built on top of a hill with the main yard approximately 15 feet below. I'm thinking something like a concrete block wall with a vinyl liner inside. Gotta start doing some research.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    NE Kansas

Saw a pool that was cut out of limestone or granite - (like a quarry) on TV- dream home type show. It cost a fortune but was incredible! Heated, Lights, a waterfall, sloped access, about 30ft deep on deep end.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Shallotte, NC

My pool started out life (we believe Buster Crabbe Pools may be the manufacturer) as a concrete base and wood walls with liner..... Apparently, in Europe, a version of this is still accomplished: here.