Pool is teal color

May 17, 2015
Herndon/va
I am having trouble getting my pool to clear up and I need help please. According to Leslie's pool my readings are as follows:

FAC=3
TAC=3
Calcium hardness = 180
CYA = 50
Total Alkalinity = 120
pH = 7.6
Copper and Iron = 0
Total Dissolved Solids = 500
Phosphates = 0

I have a 15K gallon pool with a sand filter. I just changed the sand this week. I have recently had trouble with copper but recently was able to eliminate that this week. I can pretty much see my shallow end but cannot see but maybe half of my deep end which is 8 feet. Leslie's said I could swim in it since the chemicals were good but I do not really trust it at this point and am really struggling to get it cleared up.

I am running my filter 24/7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP! The first and best advice I can give you is to not use the pool store to test. Buy your own test. It will be the best investment you can make. I have the TF 100 and love it! There is a link in my signature.

Next when you have your test kit, then you will have full control of your pool.

From the sounds of it, you will need to perform a SLAM to get your water clear.
Have you discovered Pool School? There is a lot of great information there. The ABC's of pool water chemistry is wonderful and a great place to start.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it is never safe to swim in a cloudy pool. You cannot see the swimmers if there is a problem it could be a disaster. I say this as I was told the same thing by Leslies and once I found TFP I discovered how wrong they are about most things. They are there to sell you high priced product you don't really need. You can clear your pool with regular 8.25% household bleach. There is also a link to my SLAM process in my signature feel free to read though it and see TFP methods truly work!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing you need to do is trust your own test results and not that of the pool store. Pool store testing is notoriously unreliable - a lesson I learned before I found TFP. If you're serious about taking control of managing your pool, you will order one of the recommended test kits right away. Here's a comparison of the Recommended Test Kits. Once you decide on which kit is right for you, here's where you can order it: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html. I, like a majority of members, use the TF-100 kit and am 100% satisfied.

I have recently had trouble with copper but recently was able to eliminate that this week.
Curious...how were you able to eliminate the copper? While copper and other metals can be managed, they are not usually eliminated unless the water is replaced with water that does not contain copper. There are chemicals that can help keep metals from depositing as stains and keep the water from turning color, but those treatments need to be reapplied periodically. Otherwise, the metals will come out of suspension and could discolor the water or result in stains.

So the bottom line is your teal-colored water could be caused by copper coming out of suspension or due to a nascent algae bloom. Testing with the proper kit will determine which it is.

While you are waiting for your kit, I would suggest reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry to get an overview of pool water chemistry (in plain English) and get a feel of the parameters that we recommend testing.

ok, I have ordered the TF-100 per everyone's recommendations. I also decided to add in the bleach tonight after scrubbing the walls and start a preliminary SLAM given the measurements above from the pool store. I only had the strips at . One other thing I have noticed that is funny. when I turn on both return lines I get what looks like a white foam that sits on top of the water. Any idea what that could be. I live in Northern Virginia, so it is heavy pollen season. It only occurs when the jets that point more towards the surface are on. With my other jets you never really see the stream but it is definitely on. Thanks once again for all of the help. As soon as I get the TF-100 in I will give a better current read out so we can get this thing cleared up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.