Heater problems

May 14, 2015
New York
My Pentair mastertemp 250 has been hanging on by a thread for years now. The Mice chew on the wires and have built nests inside the unit. I can keep them out of the blower by taping up the air inlet and outlet but can't keep them out of the unit. Also the membrane switches don't work any more so I have to turn the unit on and off by using the temp control buttons. It seems to have finally given up the ghost as now the blower won't even turn on any more. I used to turn of the heater by setting the temp lower than the water and waiting for the blower to stop and then powering off the whole system. Now when I power up it goes through the regular diagnostic up to r=8 and then goes blank nothing and the blower doesn't even come on any more. Manual says get a new control board. So I ordered one and the membrane too. Has anybody had similar problems and could tell me what worked for you.
best regards
Chris

Welcome to TFP! Sorry to hear about your plight with the mice wreaking havoc with your heater and related electrical system. Not having experienced this problem, I cannot give first-hand advice on whether a new control board will solve the problem but someone will likely be along who is able to.

I can, however, offer a few tips on avoiding future bouts with mice. Mice and rats are opportunists and are usually attracted by a food source. If you have an outdoor grill, I would make sure it is kept very clean - including the grates and the inside of the grill. After grilling, run the burners on high for about 5-10 minutes to burn off any leftover food. Scrape the grill grates towards the end of this burn off. If you are afraid that you might forget you left the burners on, set a timer. Once the grill has cooled completely, remove any particles of food at the bottom of the grill and remove any drippings that may have worked their way onto the patio using a solution of bleach and water. Once they have a food source, the next thing mice will look for is housing near that food source and a pool heater can serve this purpose very well. Assuming you don't have outdoor pets, you can use mice/rat bait pellets near the heater and pool equipment. If you do have pets or don't like this alternative, you can try raw peppermint oil which you can usually get at a health food store. I've heard of numerous success stories using this approach. It's relatively inexpensive and worth a shot. Simply apply several drops along the base of the heater. Also, if you do have pets and feed them outside, take up their food dish immediately after they are done eating.

None of this is an absolute guarantee that you will never have a mouse problem, but it will make your yard much less hospitable to these critters. Wild animals will usually take the path of least resistance and will seek out places that are attractive to them.

Thanks for the welcome message and good food for thought (pardon the pun) about the mice problems I've been having. I ended up getting the new control board actually used one for like a hundred bucks. Also got the membrane and in fact i replaced the entire electrical system, everything from wiring harnesses and ignition control module. New transformer just about all electric components are new (like new) for about 350 bucks total. Now the heater runs like a charm, just the way it did when it was new. So I've gone from heater problems to heater joy.
Best Regards
CW

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.