Do I need to SLAM?

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
New pool- see specs under signature.
FC 2 CC 0.8 Ph 7.5 Hardness 173 (but just added more) CYA 34 (more is currently in sock in skimmer) pool is SWG

So pool is crystal clear and I suspect within the next 2 weeks I'll have hardness and CYA where they need to be.
Is the CC above 0.5 enough reason to SLAM the pool?
If so, I am confused about the CYA/chlorine chart on this website:
Under SWG for a CYA of 60 there is an asterisk that states 'not recommended', yet the CYA of 70 and 80 do not have one.
Is that to mean that I need to get the CYA up to 70 or 80 before I start the SLAM? I thought I read that ideally it should be done when CYA is around 30, but the chart for SWG starts at 60...
Can someone please explain?
And again, based on above do I even need to SLAM right now?
Thanks again for all of your help.

The chart is saying that in normal pool operations with a SWG we recommend 70-80 CYA, not that you need to get to that level to SLAM.

While talking about the SLAM you have clear water & 0.5CC. I would just conduct and OCLT and if you pass call it a day and go,swimming - no need to SLAM. If you fail the OCLT then you should SLAM, but I assume it will go quickly.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.