Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1
    Cullman, AL

Frustrated Newbie

New to Pool ownership here, and already frustrated. We bought this house recently, and have a 20x40 inground saltwater pool. The problem is we cannot get it to clear up.This might not be the right forum, sorry.
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Frustrated Newbie

Welcome to TFP!

This forum works for now. We need more details. A full set of water tests would be great, is it cloudy, clear, green, a swamp - what are we dealing with?

Do you have a test kit or have you been using the pool store testing?

You say in ground, but plaster/finite or vinyl lined?

WHat have you added so far to fix it?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Welcome to TFP! Tim post will get you started.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Don't worry about posting in the wrong forum. A moderator can move it easily enough.

If you're serious about taking control of the pool....

Step one: invest in a proper test kit and some salt test strips. Best buy is the TF100. You probably won;t be able to find the other recommended kit, the K-2006 in stock anywhere, and the K-2005 isn't the same, no matter what the pool store clerk tells you.
    Step two: do some reading here. Start with the ABCs and Recommended Chemicals and How to Use Poolmath and Water Balance for SWG.
    Step three: run the tests when your kit arrives and we will guide you the rest of the way. We know where you want to be, we just need to know where you are, which is what the test results tell us.

And please don't get impatient and start buying everything the pool store pushes at you. Just grit your teeth and wait it out and you could very easily have the pool tamed in a couple weeks and never have cloudy or green water again. Many of us have gone years without algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

What Richard said
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6
    Charleston, WV

Hang in there and heed these people's advice. I once was lost (Baquacil) but now am found BBB, lol. Never have I spent so little it maintaining my pool nor had it as easy until I did my research on here with these people's help.
    10k gallon 22' AG Vinyl, 2k got Cartridge Filter, Fresh water, BBB Method baby!

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW PA

You're in the right place. You made it to TFP.

You need a test kit to take control and a bit of knowledge to understand how it works. Pool School is where you will learn everything you need to know. Its overwhelming for some but if you take an article or 2 everyday n read it and ask questions, it's easily digestible.

Were here for you when you need us to answer your questions. Reading and understanding is key for all of us to work together.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter