Very Low CYA

lavallee75

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2014
Merrimack NH
Hello all,

First off I want to say a big "THANK YOU" to this website and forum. I converted to TFP last summer and it was a great experience. Thank you for all that you do.

I opened the pool 3 days ago and here are my most recent stats:

26,000 gallon gunite pool
FC 8
CC 0
PH 7.5
Alkalinity 70
Calcium 260
CYA Less than 30

I tested my pool at noon today and I had FC of 9, just tested at at 7:00pm and FC was zero (full sun all day today in New Hampshire). I rushed and added two gallons of bleach to raise the chlorine. This brought my FC up to 8 and luckily I do not have any CC. I ran a CYA test earlier and I could still see the black dot after filling all the way, I figured this was because the water was very cold(61 degrees). After getting the zero FC reading at 7:00pm I redid the CYA test but brought the water to room temp first and I can still see the black dot which means my CYA is somewhere between 0 and 30.

My question is: I have leftover pucks I bought last year before I converted to BBB. Should I add them to the empty automatic chlorinator to raise my CYA or should I buy stabilizer and do the sock trick? Is it imperative that I raise the CYA ASAP or will the stabilized pucks be enough to get me to 30 or 40 CYA eventually?

Thank you again! You guys are amazing.
-Matt

Nice thank you for the help. One more question:

I have a couple of 5 lb bottles of leftover Dichlor on hand as well as a jug of stabilizer. It seems with Dichlor I just can throw it in the pool to raise CYA where with the stabilizer I need to play the sock routine and run my filter continuously for days. Is there any reason not to use the dichlor over the stabilizer? I would prefer not to run the filter that much if I can help it.

Nice thank you for the help. One more question:

I have a couple of 5 lb bottles of leftover Dichlor on hand as well as a jug of stabilizer. It seems with Dichlor I just can throw it in the pool to raise CYA where with the stabilizer I need to play the sock routine and run my filter continuously for days. Is there any reason not to use the dichlor over the stabilizer? I would prefer not to run the filter that much if I can help it.
Dichlor is very acidic. Each five pound canister of dichlor will raise FC by13 , raise CYA by 12 and lower pH by .5. Check effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath.

You don't have to leave the pump on 24/7. That's only if the sock is in the skimmer. Tie it to a pool noodle or something and let it bob around in the pool when the pump is off. Or suspend it from a pole in front of a return, so that it won't rub against the wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.