Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Just paid to have coping regrouted and now coping tiles are breaking!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Just paid to have coping regrouted and now coping tiles are breaking!!!

Hello,

I am a first time pool owner, however we moved to a home with an existing pool (about 10 years old). We wanted to update are pool decking and the grouting of the coping was chipped out and very worn so we hired a company to re-acrylic coat the decking and re-grout the coping. The used a saw to remove the old grouting and regrouted however, now the grouting has cause several of the coping tiles to chip and break. Also there are cracks all around the pool in the grout. Please help! This was very expensive and the job was done very poorly. It looks really bad and since the pool has been there for 10 years, I don't think we can find the same tiles to replace the broken ones. Does anyone know why this happened? What should we do? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!20150517_191915_resized.jpg20150517_191924_resized.jpg20150517_191927_resized.jpg
    Kim Riggans
    Spring Hill Florida1st time pool owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Just paid to have coping regrouted and now coping tiles are breaking!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if you can't get the installer to warranty the work. I'm sorry, but I can't say with any certainty what's happening there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help! Just paid to have coping regrouted and now coping tiles are breaking!!!

Like Patrick_B, I have no certainty, but it sure looks like either [or both] (1) something is moving or (2) the grout is shrinking as it cures (usually from being mixed with too much water). Grout shrinkage could possibly cause spalling of the tiles, if it adhered tightly enough.

What does the contractor say?

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought they would use a flexible seal where the coping meets the deck, that's the way mine is, since the pool shell and the deck are independent structures.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.