2nd year start up with intex 12x24x48 questions

Jul 3, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks to everyone on TFP our last summer as newbies was a success. As it doesn't get too cold here we did not take down our intex 12x24 pool this year but just drained it down to about a foot over the winter. After evaporation over the winter we are down to about 8 inches in the bottom. There is some algae and debris in it. So I'm trying to figure out how to start up this year. The hoses to the pump are very high on the pool wall. My thought is we clean and vacuum as much debris as we can and then start filling. Then, not sure of next steps. We need to slam as we do have algae but we won't have any CYA at all because this is mostly a refill. So I'm not sure what to do first when it's filled. Thanks for any help. We will get this someday.

If it was me... I'd get a bucket and start bailing. Or borrow a sump pump. And use a push broom or something to move everything to one spot as it gets close and use a wet-n-dry shop vacuum to get rid of the last of it.

Then I'd add a few inches of water and straighten the wrinkles out of the floor - unlike walled pools, you can do this - and fill it up.

Once it's full and circulating and you know there are no leaks, take some readings and get to work adjusting pH. Add the CYA as soon as you're done with the pH adjustment. It takes a while to dissolve. When you have pH in range, take the chlorine up to shock level to kill any lingering algae spores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.