Fixing a broken 2"45 degree fitting

JeffC

Apr 21, 2015
Sacramento Ca
I have a cracked 2" 45 degree fitting that needs to be replaced. The problem is the pipe is in cement. I broke away enough cement to expose the fitting and cut it out. The problem I have is if I put a new 45 on the pipe will be shorter and not line up properly. I figured I would ask the pros for a tip or trick. I am thinking someone has to make a pipe extender that I should be able to glue to the outside of the 2" pipe that would narrow down to a 2" pipe I could put the 45 on.
The pipe is cement in so I wont have much flex in lining up the joints. There is also a pipe behind the broken 45 that concerns me about digging any further with out damaging it.
Broken fitting is on the bottom pipe which is the suction line.
somp14.jpg

rtp9bq.jpg

Bottom picture is upside down.

Last edited:
Re: Fixing a broken 2"45 degree fitting

Other questions of importance, any idea what that copper wire is? Some sort of ground?
Do those pipes need to be in concrete? I was thinking of just back-filing with sand.

P.S. you can see the remains of a Cop-of-Noodles in one of the pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Richard!!!
I knew someone had to make something! My only question is would be will decreasing the diameter of the pipe matter significantly? It is a suction line.
I was thinking of the same type of fitting but kind of in reverse. Rather then slipping inside the pipe and expand to 2" the fitting would slip over the pipe and decrease to 2"

The copper wire is probably your bonding wire. It should go to your rebar and somewhere near the pump it should poke up and connect to it, too.

I just found that fitting by googling. What you want can probably be made cheaper by using a stumpy piece of pipe and a straight coupler. I know, easy for me to say, I'm not the guy digging up that pipe.

SacPoolPros
You got someone local you can recommend or sell me one your self, considering you are in Sac. I went to 2 local pool supply stores and 1 landscape irrigation they both looked at me like I had 2 heads..

I am in Elk Grove.

Another alternative could be to cut the pipe back a bit and then use a 45 in the reverse direction and then use a 90 and a repair coupling to complete it. Reversing the 45 and then adding the 90 may make it just a bit easier to bend he pipes into a position where you can get them together.

Not sure it's the best, but throwing out another option.

I am/was trying to avoid breaking the cement back any farther. The pipes are all laid in cement and getting under it is royal pain the back side.
I was hoping there was a product in existence that I was unaware of that would extend the short of piece of pipe sticking out of the cement.

Another alternative could be to cut the pipe back a bit and then use a 45 in the reverse direction and then use a 90 and a repair coupling to complete it. Reversing the 45 and then adding the 90 may make it just a bit easier to bend he pipes into a position where you can get them together.

Not sure it's the best, but throwing out another option.

Hmmmm this is interesting.

I have been thinking about this as cutting out the 45 and needing to extend the pipe back to the original length so I can use another 45 short piece of pipe and coupling. It might actually work if I use two 45 (one backwards) on each pipe and a 90 to tie everything together.

Anything to get me from digging out cement from around all those pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question to ask is why is it cracked, it looks in that photo like some of the concrete has shifted, why? Is there a root cause to this that needs to be addressed so it does not happen again.

I was thinking about your problem a an idea came to mind that would probably be the easiest, but not necessary the best. You could cut back the pipe as much as possible and use 2" flex PVC to bridge the gap.

You may be digging it up again in 5 years after termites burrow through it, but it may be the easiest route now.

I might cut the top pipe to get it out of the way. Then just repair it later with a couple couplings and small section of pipe. It would make repairs to the 45 easier. More work, less swearing.

I would avoid cutting the top pipe unless absolutely necessary. You can find that as soon as it's cut, one half may be under tension and force the pipe out of alignment, making it that much more difficult to align them back again to repair it.

Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion...

...but since you did all the hard work of exposing and diagnosing the problem, why not call a plumber? He'll have the experience and the proper parts and expertise, and will also have the liability if it fails.

Then again, you won't have the "thrill of the kill" knowing you did it yourself!

Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion...

...but since you did all the hard work of exposing and diagnosing the problem, why not call a plumber? He'll have the experience and the proper parts and expertise, and will also have the liability if it fails.

Then again, you won't have the "thrill of the kill" knowing you did it yourself!

I am actually thinking of doing exactly that. Should I use a plumber or pool service guy?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.