Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a broken 2"45 degree fitting

1. Back To Top    #1

Fixing a broken 2"45 degree fitting

I have a cracked 2" 45 degree fitting that needs to be replaced. The problem is the pipe is in cement. I broke away enough cement to expose the fitting and cut it out. The problem I have is if I put a new 45 on the pipe will be shorter and not line up properly. I figured I would ask the pros for a tip or trick. I am thinking someone has to make a pipe extender that I should be able to glue to the outside of the 2" pipe that would narrow down to a 2" pipe I could put the 45 on.
    The pipe is cement in so I wont have much flex in lining up the joints. There is also a pipe behind the broken 45 that concerns me about digging any further with out damaging it.
    Broken fitting is on the bottom pipe which is the suction line.

Bottom picture is upside down.
    Last edited by JeffC; 05-17-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added pictures
    20,000 gal pool, 3/4 Hp 220v Pump
    Pac Fab Challenger Pump House, Pentair Filter house with 200 sq ft filter cartridge
    Booster Pump
    Solar heating system that leaks and not currently used.
    Polaris vacuum thingy that runs off booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fixing a broken 2"45 degree fitting

Hunt for something like this, maybe? http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Pipe-Ex...FZY0aQodrFcAuw
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Other questions of importance, any idea what that copper wire is? Some sort of ground?
    Do those pipes need to be in concrete? I was thinking of just back-filing with sand.

P.S. you can see the remains of a Cop-of-Noodles in one of the pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Richard!!!
    I knew someone had to make something! My only question is would be will decreasing the diameter of the pipe matter significantly? It is a suction line.
    I was thinking of the same type of fitting but kind of in reverse. Rather then slipping inside the pipe and expand to 2" the fitting would slip over the pipe and decrease to 2"
    Pac Fab Challenger Pump House, Pentair Filter house with 200 sq ft filter cartridge
    Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The copper wire is probably your bonding wire. It should go to your rebar and somewhere near the pump it should poke up and connect to it, too.

I just found that fitting by googling. What you want can probably be made cheaper by using a stumpy piece of pipe and a straight coupler. I know, easy for me to say, I'm not the guy digging up that pipe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pipe extender or fitting extenders can be purchased at any good landscape plumbing supply or a pool supplier such as supieror pool or "SCP" distributors
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Pentair
    Jandy
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

6. Back To Top    #6

SacPoolPros
    You got someone local you can recommend or sell me one your self, considering you are in Sac. I went to 2 local pool supply stores and 1 landscape irrigation they both looked at me like I had 2 heads..

I am in Elk Grove.
    Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

2" pipe, a 45 deg elbow and 2 - 2" slip couplings would work. Your local lowes, Home Depot, or hardware store will have all you need. Don't forget pvc cement and cleaner / primer.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Another alternative could be to cut the pipe back a bit and then use a 45 in the reverse direction and then use a 90 and a repair coupling to complete it. Reversing the 45 and then adding the 90 may make it just a bit easier to bend he pipes into a position where you can get them together.

Not sure it's the best, but throwing out another option.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am/was trying to avoid breaking the cement back any farther. The pipes are all laid in cement and getting under it is royal pain the back side.
    I was hoping there was a product in existence that I was unaware of that would extend the short of piece of pipe sticking out of the cement.
    Booster Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    Another alternative could be to cut the pipe back a bit and then use a 45 in the reverse direction and then use a 90 and a repair coupling to complete it. Reversing the 45 and then adding the 90 may make it just a bit easier to bend he pipes into a position where you can get them together.

Not sure it's the best, but throwing out another option.
    Hmmmm this is interesting.

I have been thinking about this as cutting out the 45 and needing to extend the pipe back to the original length so I can use another 45 short piece of pipe and coupling. It might actually work if I use two 45 (one backwards) on each pipe and a 90 to tie everything together.

Anything to get me from digging out cement from around all those pipes.
    Booster Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Another question to ask is why is it cracked, it looks in that photo like some of the concrete has shifted, why? Is there a root cause to this that needs to be addressed so it does not happen again.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

yes Issac there was a root in a tree that was allowed to grow next to the slab. The tree has been removed.
    Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I was thinking about your problem a an idea came to mind that would probably be the easiest, but not necessary the best. You could cut back the pipe as much as possible and use 2" flex PVC to bridge the gap.

You may be digging it up again in 5 years after termites burrow through it, but it may be the easiest route now.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

I might cut the top pipe to get it out of the way. Then just repair it later with a couple couplings and small section of pipe. It would make repairs to the 45 easier. More work, less swearing.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

15. Back To Top    #15

All that digging... We'll have to call you Mole Man. Hans Moleman...

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by yostmatt View Post
    I might cut the top pipe to get it out of the way. Then just repair it later with a couple couplings and small section of pipe. It would make repairs to the 45 easier. More work, less swearing.
    I would avoid cutting the top pipe unless absolutely necessary. You can find that as soon as it's cut, one half may be under tension and force the pipe out of alignment, making it that much more difficult to align them back again to repair it.
    Gary

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

18. Back To Top    #18

Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion...

...but since you did all the hard work of exposing and diagnosing the problem, why not call a plumber? He'll have the experience and the proper parts and expertise, and will also have the liability if it fails.

Then again, you won't have the "thrill of the kill" knowing you did it yourself!
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Forgive me if this is a stupid suggestion...

...but since you did all the hard work of exposing and diagnosing the problem, why not call a plumber? He'll have the experience and the proper parts and expertise, and will also have the liability if it fails.

Then again, you won't have the "thrill of the kill" knowing you did it yourself!
    I am actually thinking of doing exactly that. Should I use a plumber or pool service guy?
    Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

IMO, pool service guys can be hit or miss. Ideally you want a plumber that specializes in pools, but any good plumber should do a good job with PVC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast