Can anyone offer any suggestions for affordable solar panels?

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
I have a customer with a 16x42 Inground, vinyl liner pool that would like to put in solar panels. I told her I would look into it for her. She has a propane heater which has been disconnected because it leaked, and chances are will cost her a fortune to repair or replace. She originally asked me if I could make one for her, but I remember reading that you don't end up saving anything in the end, and you end up with an inferior solar collector.

So can anyone recommend anything? She has a small shed, where she would like to put it on the roof. The area is roughly 6x10.

Thanks.

You are right about that, but I think she is thinking it will be better than nothing, and the energy is free. I came across a few panels that claim to put out 40,000BTUs. Honestly, I'm not sure how much it takes to adequately heat a pool. I think with this particular customer its not necessarily going to be used like a heater is typically used. I think she is just looking for a little boost.

With regard to the area of the shed roof, there are two sides of the peak, each about 6x10. Still not a huge area, but it is a fairly small pool.

to heat that pool you would need atleast 600 SQFT of solar panels... with 300 SQFT you would be under half of what you would need..

in NY, you would need a south facing roof that would be able to hold 600 SQFT of panels... you would need to get the good ones also... cost would be around 3 to 6 thousand dollars at least for the type of setup you would need...

if she is only looking for 5 or so degrees, get a solar cover and reel for 400 to 500 dollars, the solar covers dont last forever so that would add 200 or so every 2 to 3 years...

here is a great website for solar...
http://www.h2otsun.com/newy.html

Well, they make 4x10 panels and 2x10 panels ... you could put them on both sides (assuming there is still room to run the plumbing around). And then since you are goind over a peak you need to worry about drain valves, etc. Sounds like a lot of effort for little gain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.