Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can anyone offer any suggestions for affordable solar panels?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Can anyone offer any suggestions for affordable solar panels?

I have a customer with a 16x42 Inground, vinyl liner pool that would like to put in solar panels. I told her I would look into it for her. She has a propane heater which has been disconnected because it leaked, and chances are will cost her a fortune to repair or replace. She originally asked me if I could make one for her, but I remember reading that you don't end up saving anything in the end, and you end up with an inferior solar collector.

So can anyone recommend anything? She has a small shed, where she would like to put it on the roof. The area is roughly 6x10.

Thanks.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can anyone offer any suggestions for affordable solar panels?

60 sqft is not going to be a very big solar array.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You are right about that, but I think she is thinking it will be better than nothing, and the energy is free. I came across a few panels that claim to put out 40,000BTUs. Honestly, I'm not sure how much it takes to adequately heat a pool. I think with this particular customer its not necessarily going to be used like a heater is typically used. I think she is just looking for a little boost.

With regard to the area of the shed roof, there are two sides of the peak, each about 6x10. Still not a huge area, but it is a fairly small pool.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

to heat that pool you would need atleast 600 SQFT of solar panels... with 300 SQFT you would be under half of what you would need..

in NY, you would need a south facing roof that would be able to hold 600 SQFT of panels... you would need to get the good ones also... cost would be around 3 to 6 thousand dollars at least for the type of setup you would need...

if she is only looking for 5 or so degrees, get a solar cover and reel for 400 to 500 dollars, the solar covers dont last forever so that would add 200 or so every 2 to 3 years...

here is a great website for solar...
    http://www.h2otsun.com/newy.html
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Like has already been said 60 sq ft of panels is a drop in the bucket for the amount she needs.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, they make 4x10 panels and 2x10 panels ... you could put them on both sides (assuming there is still room to run the plumbing around). And then since you are goind over a peak you need to worry about drain valves, etc. Sounds like a lot of effort for little gain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It sounds like solar is not going to be a good option in this case.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY