When does CH cause cloudiness? What are side effects,etc?

G

At what PH range does high Calcium Hardness become a problem or make the water appear cloudy? If I have more than 300ppm in Calcium Hardness with a PH of 7.2, will the water still appear cloudy? One last question: Does 120 ppm or 250 ppm of Calcium Hardness, 80 ppm of Total Alkalinity, 50 ppm of Borates, and a PH of 7.2 cause any problems to the pool water?

How does "Hard Water" compare to "Soft Water" is there a difference to how one feels in the water? Isn't "Soft Water" corrosive in some way, which irritates the skin? Does "Hard Water" irritate the skin as well?

My goal is to find the right the saturation equation for my pool, which does not cloud the water nor make it corrosive in any way.

How likely calcium is to cause cloudiness depends on the calcium saturation index (CSI). CSI depends on a large number of factors. Your TA level is actually more important than your CH level, and PH is the most important factor. You can use my Pool Calculator to figure out your CSI, see the link in my signature.

If the index is positive there is some chance of cloudiness. As the index increases above zero the chances of calcium cloudiness increases. But even at a very high CSI, you won't always get cloudiness. Cloudiness usually happens when the saturation index increases suddenly, such as when you add cal-hypo or soda ash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.