Turning on pump for the first time this season and it just hums

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, Each year, we hire someone to close our pool and them open it ourselves. Last September, we had a new company close our pool. Today, I started putting it back together.. Removed all the return/skimmer plugs, Added Silicone lubricant to all the O rings, added plumbers tape to all the screw-type pieces, etc. Then I added water to the pump basket and flipped the switch to turn on the pump, but all the pump did was hum. When I switch it off, I think the timer (which has the flip switch for the pump) sparks. I didn't feel a shock, but it's definitely has never sparked before.
I'm trying to figure out if maybe this company did something different to close the pool that I'm unaware of. Am I missing something a step or do I need to have someone come out to service our pump? I'm guessing it's the latter :(
We have an AOSmith UST1202 Motor with a Hydro-King T104P201 Timer.
Thanks for any advice you can provide! We have issues with each opening, but the folks at TFP always provide the best advice!
Patty

Sounds like an issue with the pump motor. When I had a motor go bad last season. I began with the same hum when I turned the switch on. It could also throw the main power switch off as well in some cases. Sorry to say I feel rather certain that the motor has quit.
Zoomer

hm.. impeller? shaft - I'm guessing this means I need to cut power to the pump and take it apart?
I've never taken apart the pump in the 5 years we've owned the pool - not sure how old the pump is.
I would love to be able to resolve this myself, but this sounds a little bit out of my league?

Pool service was able to remove the cap and inside it was all corroded. the impeller spins, but still doesn't do anything other than hum.
They are charging $550 to replace the 2hp motor. He said it takes about 30 minutes. Wondering if this is something we can do ourselves since I think the motor costs around $250 to replace? still worried about how the timer sparks when I turn it off though. Would that be resolved with the motor replacement or could it be something else too?

- - - Updated - - -

if you can't turn the motor shaft more the likely it is going to need a motor replacement i have noticed this is a growing trend for customers who dont run there pump atleast once a day and it sits for a period of time

Thanks David. i think this motor is probably at least 10 years old and we only run it 4 months/yr. Any thoughts on the spark that happens when I flip the power switch? Behind the timer dial, I can see a spark when I flip the switch to manually turn on the pump/motor.

Sounds like an issue with the pump motor. When I had a motor go bad last season. I began with the same hum when I turned the switch on. It could also throw the main power switch off as well in some cases. Sorry to say I feel rather certain that the motor has quit.
Zoomer

Thanks! You were right.. the motor has quit.. it was totally corroded inside. I couldn't loosen one of the screws to get the cover off, the pool service tech had to break it. But I'm wondering about the spark. Did you have that issue as well? Did it go away once you installed a new motor?

if there is a cover on the back of the motor that can be removed, you could do that and see if you can turn the motor shaft.

Thanks. The Motor was completely corroded inside.. the Tech said the impeller would spin manually, but it still just hums. With all the corrosion, that maybe it's time to replace it. It's probably 10 years old, at least. Do you have any experience with sparks at the timer? That's where I flip the switch to power the pump on/off and when i turn it off, it sparks. We want to try and fix this ourselves, but if the spark issue is a separate issue, i'm leaning towards getting help from the pool company, although I can buy the motor for $230 on amazon. Not sure what to do.

while I will agree that a 10 year old pump/motor may need replacing, the fact that the impeller spins free tells me that you have a bad $15.00 start capacitor. The fact that your pools service did not at least tell you that before they decided to sell you a whole new pump tells me that I would not completely trust them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
while I will agree that a 10 year old pump/motor may need replacing, the fact that the impeller spins free tells me that you have a bad $15.00 start capacitor. The fact that your pools service did not at least tell you that before they decided to sell you a whole new pump tells me that I would not completely trust them.

Dan, I was going to question it, but when I saw the condition of the motor, it seemed like it was time. I've attached pics. what do you think? it looks really corroded to me. Hoping I made the right decision, b/c I went ahead and bought a new one on amazon. it'll be here on Friday, but I'm still concerned about the sparking issue. IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg

If my pump motor looked like that, at the very least I would remove it and take it to a motor service
shop to be reconditioned.

Based on the look of that pump, I would also go ahead and buy a new timer too.

Thanks - I, admittedly, haven't taken care of the motor :( Electrical things kinda scare me .. but I'm really good about lubricating, cleaning all the other pool parts..
But I should look into the maintenance tasks are for the motor, so I can start doing that and take better care of the new one. Any hints on installation. We're just planning to take pictures before we remove the old one and then connect the new one in the same way..

Regarding timers, Any recommendations?.. the one I have now is linked below. It's actually located in our pool shed which we are trying to make into a more usable outdoor area, so one that is a little bit more attractive would be great, but low priority compared to functionality and price :)
http://www.intermatic.com/en/Products/Pool_and_Spa/Mechanical_Controls/Mechanical_Time_Switches/Plastic_T100_Series/T104P201.aspx

Thanks again for all the responses from everyone. You guys are the best.

Thanks - I, admittedly, haven't taken care of the motor :( Electrical things kinda scare me .. but I'm really good about lubricating, cleaning all the other pool parts..
But I should look into the maintenance tasks are for the motor, so I can start doing that and take better care of the new one. Any hints on installation. We're just planning to take pictures before we remove the old one and then connect the new one in the same way..

Regarding timers, Any recommendations?.. the one I have now is linked below. It's actually located in our pool shed which we are trying to make into a more usable outdoor area, so one that is a little bit more attractive would be great, but low priority compared to functionality and price :)
http://www.intermatic.com/en/Products/Pool_and_Spa/Mechanical_Controls/Mechanical_Time_Switches/Plastic_T100_Series/T104P201.aspx

Thanks again for all the responses from everyone. You guys are the best.

I am not an expert on timers but that one looks fine. You could try to find an attractive cover for it at a home improvement store or Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.