Looking for advice and recommendations on a new pump

-Alex

May 17, 2015
Camillus, NY
Hi all,

We purchased this house a couple of years earlier, have renovated and repaired our way through and are now focusing on the pool. It needs a new liner, which we will be having installed this fall, but the pump (a 1HP Hayward SP1607Z1M) is running hot, drawing too much current and pretty clearly needs to be replaced.

As it stands, the filtration is handled by a Hayward Perflex EC65A, which still appears to be in good shape and is filtering well.

At some point, we would like to install a solar heating system. The back of the garage roof is approximately 10' tall, faces south, gets sun all day and is right next to the pump/ filter.

From what I've read, I was leaning towards a two speed pump, but I spoke with a gentleman at one of our local pool stores who recommended against it. He stated that our old DE filter may not work properly with the pump set on a low speed. He thought that replacing the current pump with another single speed would be fine, as long as it was kept on a timer.

Based on this information, what would you all recommend? To the extent possible, I would like to keep the cost down (two little kids in preschool and lots of things coming up this summer) but I definitely want to purchase a quality product.

Thank you very much,

Alex

I'm not sure what they are referring to on the DE filter. I have no experience with DE. But, I would lean toward a 1-1/2hp or 2hp 2 speed pump.

This :bump: will get you some more views and answers.

I have a Perflex EC-75 with a 2 speed 1.5HP pump, it works fine on low speed, also you probably only need a new motor, not a whole new pump. Just replace your dying 1HP 1 speed with a 1HP 2 speed motor, and put a new seal on it and you should be good to go.

Thank you both very much. I have a feeling that there are problems with our pump over and above the motor, so I'm leaning toward going with a new pump. From what I've read, the Pentair SuperFlo (2 speed) has been well reviewed and I have been looking at either the 1hp (Model# 3400042) or the 1.5hp (Model# 340043).

Given our current setup and the possibility of a solar unit being added in the future, would you recommend either of these or something else? I've seen the 1.5hp selling for around $460, shipping included.

Thanks again,

Alex

I honestly don't think there is a BAD 2 speed pump sold by any of the major players, this is not to say that some are not better than others for certain applications, or that some don't have a negative point or two (For example my Jandy pump needs the o-ring lid seal lubricated every time it is opened, thankfully that is not often, its not a big deal and takes only an extra 5-10 seconds, but still it is anoying). With the perflex filter which has above average amounts of back pressure and solar, you would probably be best off to study the head curves of the pumps you are considering and buy the one with the highest head for the given HP.

After looking around a bit more, I'm leaning towards the Pentair 342001 and am wondering if you think that this would be a good choice. The idea of a 1.5hp VS that runs on 110 sounds pretty great and it is available for around $650 with free shipping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.