ROOKIE: Getting Started

Hi All.... I'm a greenhorn at pool ownership (stress the green). I've been lurking around TFP the last week trying to read as much as possible. My pool is a green mess right now and I'm planning on doing my first SLAM. However, before I get started, there's still a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to yet.

Pool Overview:
It's a ~22k Pebbletec pool with an In-Floor cleaning system withOUT return jets and one skimmer. The pool is surrounded by large oak trees and the In-Floor cleaners are completely inadequate but that is a separate issue. It has an attached spa with waterfall. The in-floor, skimmer, and waterfall are all powered by a single Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.

Questions:
1. Adding liquid chlorine - I know most people add their liquid chlorine in front of the return jet. Since I don't have any return jets, what is the best method of adding bleach/chlorine without damaging the pebbletec?

2. Pump Speed - I realize the pump needs to be running continuously during the SLAM. Can I be running the pump at a very low RPM just for circulation? What speed do those with VS pumps run at?

3. Prior to finding TFP, I purchased an HTH 6-Way test kit from Walmart (poor choice I now realize).... See LINK. What do I need so I can perform the SLAM. Is there any reagent that I can purchase separately (preferably from Amazon so I can start sooner)?

4. Since I work from home I can stay on top of the SLAM pretty well during the week. However, I will be out of town for at least the next few weekends. I know this isn't ideal, but will I have any success SLAMming if I can't touch it for 2 days?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I tried searching for as many answers as possible. I'm pretty new to all this so pardon me if any of my questions are obvious!

Hi All.... I'm a greenhorn at pool ownership (stress the green). I've been lurking around TFP the last week trying to read as much as possible. My pool is a green mess right now and I'm planning on doing my first SLAM. However, before I get started, there's still a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to yet.

Pool Overview:
It's a ~22k Pebbletec pool with an In-Floor cleaning system withOUT return jets and one skimmer. The pool is surrounded by large oak trees and the In-Floor cleaners are completely inadequate but that is a separate issue. It has an attached spa with waterfall. The in-floor, skimmer, and waterfall are all powered by a single Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.

Questions:
1. Adding liquid chlorine - I know most people add their liquid chlorine in front of the return jet. Since I don't have any return jets, what is the best method of adding bleach/chlorine without damaging the pebbletec?
Anywhere you want. Bleach tends to settle out until it mixes. SInce it settles where you have floor jets blasting, I don;t think you will have any problems at all

2. Pump Speed - I realize the pump needs to be running continuously during the SLAM. Can I be running the pump at a very low RPM just for circulation? What speed do those with VS pumps run at?
Low speed should be fine. You just want to keep the water moving so you don't get any localized dead sots where the bleach is all used up. I don;t have variable speed, so I can't help with part 2

3. Prior to finding TFP, I purchased an HTH 6-Way test kit from Walmart (poor choice I now realize).... See LINK. What do I need so I can perform the SLAM. Is there any reagent that I can purchase separately (preferably from Amazon so I can start sooner)?
You need the FAS-DPD test, Taylor R-0870 and R-0871. If you spend enough time on the phone, you might find some commercial pool supply place in Sacramento that has them. The reviews on that HTH kit say you only get a couple CYA tests out of it, so you'll be needing something else soon anyway. There's a TF100 distributor in Rocklin or closeby that can probably get your kit to you fast.

4. Since I work from home I can stay on top of the SLAM pretty well during the week. However, I will be out of town for at least the next few weekends. I know this isn't ideal, but will I have any success SLAMming if I can't touch it for 2 days?
How green? How much debris is in the pool? A few years back we had a determined Navy guy who had to clear things before he left for some deployment. He cleared it in 3 days, setting the alarm and getting up every two hours all through the night. Most take about a week or 10 days. It's possible you could have things killed off but not completely filtered out before the weekend if you're diligent about dosing and brushing and vacuuming every couple hours.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I tried searching for as many answers as possible. I'm pretty new to all this so pardon me if any of my questions are obvious!

Thanks Richard... The pool was extremely green a few weeks ago. I could probably only see a 1.5 ft down. Of course I did the pool store method with Yellow Out and at least a box of Dichlo. After a week, there was absolutely no change (in fact, it looked even worse so I decided I was done with them and I'd figure it out myself :) ). Then we had a couple rain storms this week. However, after the rain storms this last week, the pool has cleared up considerably, not entirely sure why since it really wasn't that much rain. I can easily see the bottom and can see where I had been brushing the bottom. That's part of the reason I want to get going on this as soon as possible. My CYA is somewhere between 55-70 which is higher than I'd like (I haven't tested myself yet but that is from 2 different pool stores with same test water). How many gallons of 10% chlorine do you guesstimate I should buy and have on hand?
S24RFOC.jpg

I have the same pump but no in floor system so I don't have any idea how it impacts waterflow. But, here are my numbers. Low speed for skimming and SWG 1100rpm, mid speed for bottom drain and brushing 1500rpm and highest speed I use for solar panels is 1950rpm. I would think 1500rpm would probably be ok.

Have you read this SLAMing Your Pool? Seems like you have but just in case.

As for your tree problem, I have the same issue with lots-o-trees. I run my pump on 1100rpm 24x7 spring and fall when it is tree stuff time to keep the stuff skimmed off the top and off the bottom.

If you can see the debris and can vacuum it up, it'll save you a day, easily. As far as stockpiling bleach, no way to know. If CYA is 70, shock level is 28, which will take something like 6 gallons of clorox just to get up there. If CYA is lower, less bleach initially, but still a couple gallons an hour consumption. It could easily go over 20 gallons. You would be a good candidate for stronger stuff. Check http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php and call a couple places for pricing on the 12.5% stuff in returnable jugs. If someone has it nearby, get 3 crates. Any that's leftover will still come in handy for quick boosting before and after pool parties.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.