Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help figure salt amount

1. Back To Top    #1

Help figure salt amount

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    3000 ppm sodium chloride salt is 0.4 ounces weight of salt per gallon which is about 2 teaspoons per gallon.

50 ppm Borates is 0.059 ounces weight per gallon or 1/3rd teaspoon per gallon of 20 Mule Team Borax plus 0.038 ounces weight of dry acid (about 1/6th teaspoons) to get to neutral pH. For boric acid it's 0.038 ounces weight per gallon or 1/4th teaspoon per gallon.
    So If i did this right, I have 2,800 gallons and then I multiply that by 0.4 = 1,120oz and then divide by 16oz I would add 70lb of salt, right?
    Intex Easy Set Round 15' x 36" 2,800 Gallons above-ground vinyl pool, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Model FS70110 with GFCI, and a pump flow rate of 2,800 gallons per hour. Clorox Pool&Spa 25-lb Sand Pool Plus. Shock = 8oz hth Ultra once a week. Sanitizer= hth Ultra 3" Chlorinating Tablets in Floating Chlorine Dispenser. Manual vacuuming using Weighted Triangle Swimming Pool Vacuum Cleaner Head Attachment.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help figure salt amount

It is generally much easier to just use PoolMath to make the calculations for you.

According to it, 70 pounds would add about 3000ppm of salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Upstate, NY

Re: Help figure salt amount

As mentioned use Pool Math. I would suggest you go easy on the salt. You could always add more if needed. Too much and you will be draining the pool.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)