25,000 gallons

F.C. = 1.5
CC-=0
TA=80
PH=7.5
CYA=0
Salt=3800

Hopefully I am not forgetting anything.
We think we need to add chlorine to increase CYA and FC. Pool calculator says 2 to 3 96 ounce jugs. (This is if I am using the pool calculator correctly)

How does the water look?

How did the 1.5 FC get there? Bleach/chlorine? What did it start at and how long did it take to get to 1.5. What I'm trying to find out is did you add bunch of chlorine and it was immediately consumed or di it go down slowly?

Chlorine won't increase your CYA. You increase CYA by adding granular Stablizer to a sock and setting it in the top of the skimmer or hanging it in front of the return jet to dissolve. If you have 0 CYA you will want to target 30 to start.

Hmmm. Last year about this time you had 60 CYA. What happened? Did you drain a bunch? Get a ton of rain? How does the water look? Is it clear, or cloudy, or green, or what?

Yes, we drained it completely. Mainly because we didn't cover it over the winter and it was full of everything. The cover we used the winter before, was trashed after one season use. So in the market for a new one for next winter.

Anyway. The SWG is on 100% at the moment. So I think the Chlorine will rise, but CYA is low, so I think it may not. What to do?

Chlorine won't increase your CYA. You increase CYA by adding granular Stablizer to a sock and setting it in the top of the skimmer or hanging it in front of the return jet to dissolve. If you have 0 CYA you will want to target 30 to start. Once you get it to 30 since you have a SWG you can raise it again to target 70-90.

You need to add CYA. You'll lose all your FC to the sun and get algae, and burn out your SWG trying to keep up.

It's pretty easy. Target 70 for a SWG pool. Since you haven't added any, and tap water is zero, you enter zero now. That means 15 lbs of stabilizer. I'd start with 12 just in case the pool isn't as big as you think, and because stabilizer usually comes in 4 lb canisters. It'll take a couple socks or something to tie it up in. How to add

To raise FC, just our some bleach in. With zero CYA right now, target 3. That'll take half a jug of 8.25% bleach.

Where I got these numbers and how I calculated amounts and what to use are here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/138-water-balance-for-swg-saltwater-chlorine-generator
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

So I have to add Stabilizer and Bleach?

- - - Updated - - -

The 8.25 Bleach, is that the common type in the stores? I remember last year trying to find the specific type bleach and it was hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Cyanuric Acid is Stabilizer? because my husband says he can buy cyanuric acid at Atwoods and it is cheaper than Stabilizer at the pool store.

So I have to add Stabilizer and Bleach?

- - - Updated - - -

The 8.25 Bleach, is that the common type in the stores? I remember last year trying to find the specific type bleach and it was hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Cyanuric Acid is Stabilizer? because my husband says he can buy cyanuric acid at Atwoods and it is cheaper than Stabilizer at the pool store.
Yes. You need both. Once the CYA level comes up some, your SWG should be able to keep up. Until then, you're at risk of algae. 8.25% bleach is plain clorox. Most store brands are the same. Read the label. If they're ashamed to give it, skip it. Yes, CYA is Cyanuric Acid is stabilizer.

Ok, I knew all this last summer, yet I feel like I'm starting all over. We've now been to Atwoods and their stabilizer or Cyanuric Acid is in 3 pound containers. So we got 4.It was all they had. Got bleach also. Headed home to get this done. Thanks a bunch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.