Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken ball valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken ball valve

Hello all
    Here in NY getting the pool ready. I went to turn the ball valve that connects to my bottom drain but broke it. It's a red handle with kbi in the center of the top of handle. The handle itself has a short 3/4" extension and the other side is about 2". Under the handle, still on the pipe is a black screw with a rectangular top that I can get a wrench on but still can't turn it. It is about 5 - 6 years old
    Any ideas??

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Broken ball valve

Gently tap the valve with a rubber mallet and see if that loosens it up.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Broken ball valve

That is the normal outcome with ball valves after a few years. That is why we recommend Jandy neverlube valves or similar valves from Hayward, Pentair and others.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach