Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick Question - Liner related!

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Question - Liner related!

Hi guys! New pool owner (just bought my first home!) and Just from reading other post and getting started information I have learned that most of the time the pool store people aren't right lol, and I have a quick question about my liner - It has a tear in it that is less than 1/4 on an inch and it is about the water line when the pool is full, the company that closed it last winter for the previous owners told my realtor that I needed to buy a whole new liner and then when I called a different pool company to ask them about getting a quote they told me to patch it since it is above the water line and the liner in their now is only three years old. Can anyone give me some advice on that is best? I don't want to buy a new liner if I can about it as, I just bought this house and I had to get a new diving board already.

Thank You!!!!!
    Pool Information:
    -In Ground, Vinyl Lined Pool, Diving board, Rounded Rectangular shape, **Will add measurements soon**, Four foot depth to eight foot depth

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick Question - Liner related!

Welcome to TFP!!

If it was me I would certainly try patching it before I ever thought of a new liner.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    you can patch that easily. Actually, you can patch most small tears in a liner no matter if its under water or not.

We generally recommend to do a multiple patch.
    1st patch just a bit bigger than the tear
    next patch a bit bigger then the 1st
    and the last patch a bit bigger than the second one.

Hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay!! Doing this for sure!!! Now, can anyone point me then direction of some help about anti freeze in the pool lines? The company that closed told use they did this and it concerns me. I was just wondering if there are special things I need to do in order to deal with this. Thanks again!
    Pool Information:
    -In Ground, Vinyl Lined Pool, Diving board, Rounded Rectangular shape, **Will add measurements soon**, Four foot depth to eight foot depth

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Nice to see another one from KY. No problem with the antifreeze in the lines. It's rv antifreeze. Some people try to use a shop vac to suck it out of the lines. Most people, myself included, just start the pump and let it go into the pool. Make sure you read through pool school, and get a recommended test kit.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100