What a mess

May 15, 2015
Warren, Ohio
24' Round AG pool @ 13,500 gallons. Hayward 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, and NG Heater.

Ok, so this is my fourth year with our pool. Late last summer I started having issues with cloudy water although the water was balanced. Fought it until closing and never had a perfectly clear pool.

Opened the pool this year and it is a green milky mess. To make matters worse, some wet leaves and pine needles fell in while removing the cover.

I've always followed the pool store's advice and so this year was no different. After I opened I added 6 bags of Bioguard Smart Shock with no real difference. 24 hours later I took a sample to the pool store and had the water tested. pH was a little high and FC was low (1.5). Adjusted as recommended and added 5 bags of Burnout 72 along with ProtectAll and Banish algaecide. Plus, phosphates at 1000 so they had me floc. Waited 48 hours and vacuumed to waste. Floc again, wait another 48 hours and vac to waste.

24 hours later the pool is a teal milk color but no longer completely green. Still no chance of seeing the bottom.

I took another water sample to the pool store and got bad news. FC 1.1 and pH is balanced, phosphates have dropped to 300 but they have now tested for Nitrates and Nitrites which are 4 and 1 respectively. They advise that there is no hope and only thing to do is to completely drain and start again with fresh water.

Found Troublefreepool.com

I've decided to SLAM the pool, much to my wife's disapproval. CYA is 43 so I'm keeping my FC above 16 by checking every 2 hours and adjusting with 8.25% Clorox. Brushing everyday and cleaning the 175 sq/ft cartridge each day. I'm on day 2 and the pool is still very milky, but blue. Can only see about 18" into the water.

Realistically, to drain and refill will only cost me about $150 using city water. I've easily doubled that so far. My question is if I should give in to the wife and drain to cut my losses or keep on with the SLAM? I've used 11 jugs of clorox in the last 24 hours at $3 each. If it is going to take more than 3 or 4 days I'd be better off to drain and refill if I keep going through clorox at this rate.

:shock: You certainly got a big case of "being pool-stored" ... what a bunch of non-sense.

What test kit are you using?
Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Too often is actually going to not filter as well.

At 4 years old, if you were to drain the pool, the liner may shrink and be ruined.

That call is really up to you. I am glad you found TFP. I highly recommend getting a TF 100 or Taylor K2006 if you are going to SLAM. Pool store readings can vary and often be inaccurate. Even if you do drain and refil I still recommend getting a test kit so you can have complete control of your pool.

You've been pool-stored. Big time. Oh well, at least you're here now, and the wallet hemorrhaging will stop soon enough. You won't have to go to the pool store again except to purchase obscure pieces of hardware.

I bet that salesman neglected to mention that Phos-free even states that you should clear the algae before treating the water. It's true! Click on the instructions. Last line.

He probably couldn't read that because he was only seeing dollar signs.
dollar-signs.jpg

The pool store was right about one thing, there's no hope.........if you keep following their advice ;)

While draining and refilling is likely cheaper, I wouldn't for a couple reasons. Like was mentioned, you risk ruining your liner, and IMO going through the SLAM process will be a geat learning experience. At the end of the process you'll also have a great sense of control over your pool, rather than the pool/pool store controlling you.

Can you post a full set of test results? Are you checking the CC?

The SLAM will work, but if you want to split the difference with the wife, you could drain down about half and refill and then continue the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I spent until midnight balancing pH and getting FC back up.

This morning here is a new set of readings:
FC - 9.0
CC - 1.0
pH - 7.4
TA - 190
CH - 260
Borate - 40
CYA - 40
Temp - 69 F
CSI ~ 0.07

Water is still very cloudy (approx 18" visibility) blue milk.

Last edited:
It took time to get like this and it is going to take time (and bleach) for it to clear.

Once you get it clear you and your wife are going to love it!

It will be SO much clearer and cheaper than you ever thought possible!

Keep hitting the SLAM amount of FC and often as you can. It will clear!

Kim

After this morning test I dumped 2 gal of Clorox in and went to work.

This afternoon the pool is more cloudy, albeit blue.

FC 4.5
CC 1.0
pH 7.4
I'm adding more bleach. Any other suggestions?

Since it is a cartridge filter system should I clean the filter each day to speed things up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.