Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a mess

1. Back To Top    #1

What a mess

24' Round AG pool @ 13,500 gallons. Hayward 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, and NG Heater.

Ok, so this is my fourth year with our pool. Late last summer I started having issues with cloudy water although the water was balanced. Fought it until closing and never had a perfectly clear pool.

Opened the pool this year and it is a green milky mess. To make matters worse, some wet leaves and pine needles fell in while removing the cover.

I've always followed the pool store's advice and so this year was no different. After I opened I added 6 bags of Bioguard Smart Shock with no real difference. 24 hours later I took a sample to the pool store and had the water tested. pH was a little high and FC was low (1.5). Adjusted as recommended and added 5 bags of Burnout 72 along with ProtectAll and Banish algaecide. Plus, phosphates at 1000 so they had me floc. Waited 48 hours and vacuumed to waste. Floc again, wait another 48 hours and vac to waste.

24 hours later the pool is a teal milk color but no longer completely green. Still no chance of seeing the bottom.

I took another water sample to the pool store and got bad news. FC 1.1 and pH is balanced, phosphates have dropped to 300 but they have now tested for Nitrates and Nitrites which are 4 and 1 respectively. They advise that there is no hope and only thing to do is to completely drain and start again with fresh water.

Found Troublefreepool.com

I've decided to SLAM the pool, much to my wife's disapproval. CYA is 43 so I'm keeping my FC above 16 by checking every 2 hours and adjusting with 8.25% Clorox. Brushing everyday and cleaning the 175 sq/ft cartridge each day. I'm on day 2 and the pool is still very milky, but blue. Can only see about 18" into the water.

Realistically, to drain and refill will only cost me about $150 using city water. I've easily doubled that so far. My question is if I should give in to the wife and drain to cut my losses or keep on with the SLAM? I've used 11 jugs of clorox in the last 24 hours at $3 each. If it is going to take more than 3 or 4 days I'd be better off to drain and refill if I keep going through clorox at this rate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What a mess

You certainly got a big case of "being pool-stored" ... what a bunch of non-sense.

What test kit are you using?
    Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Too often is actually going to not filter as well.

At 4 years old, if you were to drain the pool, the liner may shrink and be ruined.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That call is really up to you. I am glad you found TFP. I highly recommend getting a TF 100 or Taylor K2006 if you are going to SLAM. Pool store readings can vary and often be inaccurate. Even if you do drain and refil I still recommend getting a test kit so you can have complete control of your pool.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You certainly got a big case of "being pool-stored" ... what a bunch of non-sense.

What test kit are you using?
    Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Too often is actually going to not filter as well.
    Using Taylor K-2006

Even cartridge filters clean better a little dirty?
    24' AG pool @ 13,500 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

You've been pool-stored. Big time. Oh well, at least you're here now, and the wallet hemorrhaging will stop soon enough. You won't have to go to the pool store again except to purchase obscure pieces of hardware.

I bet that salesman neglected to mention that Phos-free even states that you should clear the algae before treating the water. It's true! Click on the instructions. Last line.

He probably couldn't read that because he was only seeing dollar signs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool store was right about one thing, there's no hope.........if you keep following their advice

While draining and refilling is likely cheaper, I wouldn't for a couple reasons. Like was mentioned, you risk ruining your liner, and IMO going through the SLAM process will be a geat learning experience. At the end of the process you'll also have a great sense of control over your pool, rather than the pool/pool store controlling you.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you post a full set of test results? Are you checking the CC?

The SLAM will work, but if you want to split the difference with the wife, you could drain down about half and refill and then continue the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

cc was .5 earlier today. I'll test when we get home and post results.

9. Back To Top    #9

Had to leave for about 5 hrs today. Came back to this:

FC 5.5
    CC 1.0
    pH < 7
    TA 160
    CH 220

I'm going to adjust the pH with Borax and then dump more chlorine in

10. Back To Top    #10

What kind of chlorine are you going to add? the only way your pH would be crashing like that is from using Dichlor or Trichlor which add CYA and thus raise the required FC level.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!

Can we get a CYA reading?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Started with HTH liquid chlorine and now using 8.25% bleach

CYA 43

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, so I spent until midnight balancing pH and getting FC back up.

This morning here is a new set of readings:
    FC - 9.0
    CC - 1.0
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 190
    CH - 260
    Borate - 40
    CYA - 40
    Temp - 69 F
    CSI ~ 0.07

Water is still very cloudy (approx 18" visibility) blue milk.
    Last edited by bbates7995; 05-18-2015 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Added CSI from Pool Math

14. Back To Top    #14

It took time to get like this and it is going to take time (and bleach) for it to clear.

Once you get it clear you and your wife are going to love it!

It will be SO much clearer and cheaper than you ever thought possible!

Keep hitting the SLAM amount of FC and often as you can. It will clear!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Are you following this process, SLAMing Your Pool? What is your target FC level?
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes. Target is 16

17. Back To Top    #17

Excellent!
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

After this morning test I dumped 2 gal of Clorox in and went to work.

This afternoon the pool is more cloudy, albeit blue.

FC 4.5
    CC 1.0
    pH 7.4
    I'm adding more bleach. Any other suggestions?

Since it is a cartridge filter system should I clean the filter each day to speed things up?

19. Back To Top    #19

Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... any more often and it may not filter as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

BTW. TA at 200 now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast