Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I on the right track??

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I on the right track??

Hi All!! So here's what's going on: We did not winterize the pool last year. Opened it last week and it was a swamp full of leaves. And it stunk like a swamp. We cleaned as much of the leaves out as possible with a big skimmer, and added about 7 bottles Clorox bleach just to kill the stink.
    It's now a green color and is very cloudy. To be expected.
    I started SLAM yesterday. We had to add a lot of water after we opened it, so CYA tested 0. (I use a Taylor K-2006 testing kit). PH was 7.4 before I started SLAM. I bought stabilizer in powder form and poured 2 lbs into a sock and hung in front of return yesterday. I've been massaging it every few hours.
    I added enough bleach to bring FC up to 26. I think that's a bit overboard considering my CYA, so I've been maintaining it at about 12-18ppm consistently. I just started the SLAM 24 hours ago, so I'm comfortable with the pool still being green and opaque. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. The filter's running 24/hrs.
    Words of wisdom/advice?
    10,200gallon vinyl above ground oval pool. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Am I on the right track??

Welcome to TFP!Sound like you are doing it correctly. We love pictures during a SLAM. Why a CYA did you target to get to when you added Stablizer?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm shooting for 20 CYA to start because I'm terrified of adding too much and ending up with chlorine lock. I uploaded an image, hopefully it shows up lol.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Have you "blind" raked the bottom of the pool as much as possible to get any remaining leaves out? Anything organic in the water will slow the process. It's better to let the chlorine work on algae and stuff like that then to have to try to oxidize legacies and solids you can pull out.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I have tried to look for darker spots and used the skimmer to pull the leaves out. Is there a better method? I'm short. Lol. Should I just walk around the outside of the pool and push the skimmer around the bottom of the pool to stir it up?
    Also, am I good with keeping my FC between 11-16? Or should I aim higher? I'm testing about every 2 hrs.

6. Back To Top    #6

Figured out how to upload photo thanks to the tutorial.

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

Have you "blind" raked the bottom of the pool as much as possible to get any remaining leaves out? Anything organic in the water will slow the process. It's better to let the chlorine work on algae and stuff like that then to have to try to oxidize legacies and solids you can pull out.
    I your advice and just went around the entire pool raking the skimmer along the bottom and pulled out massive amounts of leaves! THANK YOU for encouraging me to do that! You just helped my efforts greatly.

Once I finished that (for now since I have a feeling I'll need to do it again), I added about 80oz of bleach (8%). I will retest in 30mins. When I tested about 2 hours ago, my FC was 11.5ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

Any input on what I should reach for in terms of FC at shock level? With my CYA starting at 0, but having added 2lbs (I know it can take up to a week for the test to read cya), I'm confused about what I should aim for to keep FC at shock while SLAMing.

10. Back To Top    #10

Just tested:
    FC 18.5ppm
    CC 1.5 ppm

The sun is off the pool for the rest of today so I'll test again before bed. What should I have my FC at for overnight?

11. Back To Top    #11

Anyone?

12. Back To Top    #12

If you have added CYA, even if it does no register on the CYa test "assume" you reached your goal,and that much CYA is in the water for shock level purposes. If the 2 pounds should get you to CYA 30, then use the CYA/chlorine chart to adjust to that shock level.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you!

Ok, so that puts me at 12ppm for shock levels. Do you overshoot overnight to avoid it going below shock levels before the morning?

14. Back To Top    #14

9:43pm

FC: 16ppm

Leaving it alone for the night. Will post in the AM.

15. Back To Top    #15

You can overshoot a little during the night as there is no sun to burn off excess. Overshooting too much in the daytime just sacrifices chlorine to the sun.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok. So my game plan for tomorrow is to keep my FC at 12ppm all day. I'm going to rake the pool again and take a brush to the pool.
    Should I be doing anything else?

17. Back To Top    #17

Maybe brush up on the process to SLAM Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm confused. I've been rather obsessed with reading the SLAM process as well as other threads on this topic. Am I not doing something that I should be doing?

19. Back To Top    #19

6:45am

FC: 16ppm

So the FC stayed the same, but the water is still green and opaque. I'll be brushing and vacuuming today. And maintaining an FC of at least 12ppm all day.
    Is that right? Is there anything else I should be doing?

20. Back To Top    #20

Taking pictures is the only thing you are not going LOL

Take a picture looking down at your ladder. Take on each day. You will start to see more and more of your ladder. That helps YOU know it is working!

It will take some time but you are on the right track!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast