Rain Woes

May 17, 2015
North Texas
Last year was my first year with this pool and after following the advice here I never had any problems maintaining crystal clear water. The past few months we've had several big rainstorms(2-3inches), and after every one of them I've lost clarity and the pool turned murky. I've slammed it and ran the filter 24hrs to get it to clear back up. Yesterday the water was perfect and I did a quick test. PH was 7.3ish and FC was 40(I got a little overzealous in anticipation of another storm). Well I wake up today and the water is **** again. Can't see the bottom in the deep end (6ft). I'm going to try to attach a picture. I checked my numbers today and they are
pH 7.4
FC 36
CC 0
CH 325
TA 40 blue-->yellow (this was 80 a week ago and I added some baking soda so not sure this is accurate with high FC)
CYA 45

I just don't know why I keep losing control of this thing. Can I get some advice please. Thanks.

Keith
Poolstorm.jpg

Welcome to the forum Keith!

I'm going to be blunt, but don't mistske it for being harsh. The rain is having little to do with your issues. This is happening because you are running on the ragged edge of low FC a lot, and staying just barely ahead of an Alagae bloom all the time. Rain changes your chemistry little at a time.

The high FC you have now is turning the TA blue but that's expected. Put in an extra drop of R0007 and if still turns blue/yellow it's ok. It's still good on the result. Work your TA up to about 70-80 and it will help with the pH swing. What is your fill water TA? Run it if you don't know.

P. S. Take the Dolphin out with this high FC. Just for good measure.

Your high FC level will help you, and it sounds like a SLAM or high FC for a while would help you out.

I'll check the TA of the fill water but can't remember the last time I had to add water, sometime last year I bet. I've had the FC above 20 for the 4-5 days and had the water back to what I considered perfect before last night's storm. I've also had the filter running non-stop for the past 4-5 days. I'll raise the TA but the pH today is still good so I'm not sure that is playing a large role. Thanks for the advice. I'll get back to you on the fill water TA.

Thanks Azgirl. TA of fill water is 80. Haven't filled recently. TA of pool is on the climb up to 60 now need to go get more baking soda. FC just a sec ago was 32, sun is also out. Filter pump running steadily but water is minimally improved. I guess I'll work on getting TA up and keep the FC at shock level. Still unsure how a bloom could occur at that high of a FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.