We have been having some interesting numbers since we started putting the solar cover on the pool. The cover was grimy and hubby covered the pool so we could save some heat. Then our FC numbers started dropping. Our CYA is low - less than 30 - I can still see the dot. I put Stabilizer in a sock tied to the ladder about 2 weeks ago and it is still there. I squeezed it a bit 2 days ago, but the sock is still pretty full and hanging around. I have been trying to keep the FC above 16 to kill whatever is in the pool (which I suspect came from the solar cover) Unfortunately I have not had the time to do a textbook slam. I have just been trying to keep the FC up by adding bleach before/after work and trying to keep it above 16 based on a guestimate of CYA
2 days ago at 9am FC 17.5 CC 0 We were away all day yesterday so
Today at 10:30 am FC 6.5 CC.5
Ph has been flipping up and down since we opened the pool. First it is too low- add borax, too high - add MA (repeat)
Today's full set of numbers:
CYA less than 30 - I can still see dot
Hubby is thoroughly cleaning solar cover with diluted bleach solution and hose
1. How much is normal for the pool to drop Chlorine in 48 hours? I am assuming that dropping 11 indicates that I am still fighting something growing in there and need to slam for real? The pool looks great - very clear
2. What is the percentage in the liquid chlorine you get in the 5 gallon jugs from the Pool Store?
3. Is there a better (quicker) way to safely add CYA to the pool. Can I just squeeze the dickens out of the sock and get it over with? If I do, how long until an accurate change in CYA will be detected? I am so afraid of adding too much that I am afraid I have been too conservative. It is the same reading it was 2 weeks ago before I put the sock in the pool.
4. My salt water cell does not seem to be working. Until I can get it repaired/replaced, how much chlorine will I need to add to keep the pool beautiful?
5. What is the best way to keep the PH from bouncing around.
Thanks so much for your help!