New to this system. Please check my numbers.

DC608

May 16, 2015
Reading, PA
Greetings. I've done a lot of reading in the forums here. I wish I would have found this system earlier. For about ten years I've been doing this on my own, focusing mainly on chlorine levels and total alkalinity, and I've had generally good success.

That having been said, this way makes so much sense to me! Poolmath will add precision that has been lacking from my pool maintenance.

SO...perfect time to start, I just replaced the vinyl liner, and refilled from well water. Here are my initial test results. I'd just love to have some of you who have been doing this look them over, and confirm my next steps.

FC: 0
pH: 8.2
TA: 80
CH: 100 <-- tested this mostly just out of curiosity. Is it necessary to watch this with vinyl pools?
CYA: 0

Plugged some conservative goal numbers into Poolmath and determined that I will have to add 3 gal of 5.25% Bleach (it was on sale...I'll get the stronger stuff next time.)
Add some acid to lower pH.
Get some stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer and check again in a week.

Questions about stabilizer. I have to add about 7 lbs. I have 5, and thought I'd start with that. If I put half in the skimmer and half tied to the return in another sock, will there be any harm done to the liner near the return? Filter 24/7 until the stuff dissolves?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

A sock in front of a return is fine as long as the pump is running or the sock is hung so that it doesn't rest against the wall when the pump is off. Resting against the wall with the pump off could be a problem.

For chlorine, add 2 ppm of chlorine in the evening today, and then switch to maintaining an FC level appropriate for your target CYA level tomorrow.

Welcoem to TFP!

The first step is to get the PH right. Since most pH tests max out at 8.2, the actual pH could be higher. But, I would assume 8.2 for now. Plug that into PoolMath along with a target pH of 7.5 and add the amount of muriatic acid (MA) that it tells you. Add in a small stream in front of a return jet with pump running, of course. Retest within a couple of hours or so and see where it's at.

Next, you need to get some chlorine in the pool and you can do this within a few minutes or so of adding the MA as described above. One thing missing from your test results is CC. I would test this parameter as well. For today, I would dose FC up to the recommended range for your CYA (which will be 2 ppm FC) and then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to watch for any unusual FC consumption overnight. If you fail the OCLT, you will need to SLAM but we'll cover that process if needed. If you pass the OCLT then, starting tomorrow, dose FC according to what your target CYA will be based on the amount you added even though the CYA addition will take 5-7 days to register on a test. As you did in adding the MA, add the FC by pouring it in a small stream in front of a return jet. If you are using the same cup that you added the MA with, rinse it out thoroughly before using it to add bleach.

DC608 said:
Questions about stabilizer. I have to add about 7 lbs. I have 5, and thought I'd start with that. If I put half in the skimmer and half tied to the return in another sock, will there be any harm done to the liner near the return?
If you turn off the pump, I would remove the sock tied to the return to avoid the acid in the CYA from possibly bleaching out that part of the liner that it touches.

DC608 said:
Filter 24/7 until the stuff dissolves?
Not absolutely required, but leaving it on will dissolve it quicker. Also, give the sock a squeeze periodically to help it dissolve even faster.

I think the reason he said he would run the pump 24-7 was he was going into put 1/2 the CYA in the skimmer. The problem is it can take a long time to dissolve and if you have to backwash you lose it that way. I would tie a sock to the end of a pole extended into the return stream. That puts it out off the side of the pool. Either that or just put the sock in the skimmer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I've spent the day putting all your advice into practice.

Adjusted the pH and it is spot on. Then I added 3 gal of weak bleach, but it was sunny today, and I have no stabilizer. So the updated test results are:

FC: 0.5
CC: 0-0.5 (it might have turned a little pink)
pH: 7.5

And I'm adding the CYA, but only started around noon today, so I didn't retest. Assuming it's still 0.

The sun will soon set, and then I'll add more chlorine and do the overnight test. I'm sure I'll need to SLAM, so I'm going to read through the process a few times. Can I start that right away, or should I wait until I build up the stabilizer a bit?

Use 2ppm for your FC goal until you start putting the stabilizer in, then switch to a SLAM goal based on the level CYA will be based on how much you are putting in.

So Pool Math says with 5 lbs your CYA should be around 20. (Don't add any more stabilizer after that until you are through with the SLAM, it will just make you FC goals higher.) with a CYA of 20 your minimum shock level will be 10. Your goal will be to keep it between 14 and 10 at all times. Never let it drop below 10 until SLAM is complete.

Your FC dropped below target levels due to loss from the sun which was accelerated by the low CYA level. However, you may not need to SLAM...it depends on the results of your OCLT. When you get a chance, post those results please. Remember to add the FC after all sunlight is off the pool and retest early in the morning before any sunlight hits the pool. This is critical for the accuracy of the OCLT. Also, as others have stated, hold off on adding any more CYA until we see the results of your OCLT.

Your FC dropped below target levels due to loss from the sun which was accelerated by the low CYA level. However, you may not need to SLAM...it depends on the results of your OCLT. When you get a chance, post those results please. Remember to add the FC after all sunlight is off the pool and retest early in the morning before any sunlight hits the pool. This is critical for the accuracy of the OCLT. Also, as others have stated, hold off on adding any more CYA until we see the results of your OCLT.

OK. I figured I'd need to SLAM, so I haven't been real fussy about bleach quantities. I just rounded up to the next higher gallon. So last night after sunset, I added chlorine, ran the pump a while to mix and tested for a result of 9 FC. This morning at 6:30 I tested again. It was pretty light, though no direct sun had hit the pool by then. My result was 8.5 FC. I'm happy with this result, but I see stuff in there on the pool bottom. The pool fill from the well was a gradual process, and I know some algae grew along the way.

This am I took the FC up to 12. Had to be gone all morning, and it's sunny, so at 1pm it was down to 4. I put in what Poolmath said would take it up to 12, and rounded up most of an additional gallon. Gonna try to hold it there and perform another overnight test tonight.

I'm trying to do what I've read. If I'm jumping the gun here, please advise!

Again, thanks to everybody for the input! The water is already super-clear! This system is the best!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.