Pics of Sheen finishes Slate Blue, French Grey, Cool Blue

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
Ok, I'm doing it.... I'm starting a new thread which has been beat to death.

Three reasons for taking the risk of having rotten tomatoes thrown at me:
1. total frustration in choosing a Pebble Sheen finish (our PB wants to stay with the Pebble Tec product)
2. finding photos that come from people I trust (TFP-ers)
3. *** best reason: yes, there are posts discussing these colors, but so many are from old posts and the pictures no longer open for viewing

Originally, I was choosing between Aqua Blue and Blue Granite. After tons of research (reading the same threads over and over), I think.... I realized I'm not a fan of the salt and pepper aggregates. The reason is that I want to see creepy crawlies on the pool bottom. Although everyone says (and I agree after seeing several pools) that you can clearly see the bottom regardless of color and depth, I feel fairly certain that many smaller creepy crawlies will blend in with the salt and pepper finish. Sadly, once I get something like that in my head, it sticks.

So now, I'm considering Slate Blue, French Grey, and Cool Blue. I would appreciate any pictures (which will open) that any of you can post. And I always appreciate your input and opinions. I may not always follow them, but often they trigger other helpful ideas I hadn't considered.

I do have a Fall-Back Plan. I think it was Pooldv who suggested I go with Blue Granite. He said he could almost guarantee I would NOT hate it, and I might find I love it. It's that universally popular. So that's probably what I will do if I can't find/see these pools. (these 3 are harder to find - right, that should tell me something!) If I do go with Blue Granite, I will just have to suck it up and be brave - each time I get in the pool.

I do think it would be great if we could have a thread just for pool finishes including those for gunite, vinyl, and fiberglass (not sure what their finishes are.....). And maybe it would be worthwhile and easier for people to view if the threads were separated by manufacturer.

I'm suggesting this here in addition in the "Suggestions" section, in hopes that if enough people voice agreement, it might happen. I see this struggle over selecting a pool finish, EVERYWHERE!

So please, please help! You guys know how long it took me to select waterline tile!!!!! We really would like to swim before our Houston swim season is over!!!!

Thank you, thank you! Suz.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussion...n-colors-slate-blue-seafoam-green-french-grey

I know it looks like I'm answering my own questions..... But in case someone else comes to this thread in hopes of seeing photos, I thought I would post the ones I've found. And these are very good.

Still, I'm hoping to see a good number more of photos since so many variables can change the way these finishes look. Thanks. Suz.

We went with Aqua Blue on our replaster. We had white plaster prior so we like the nice blue colors. We thought we were going with the cool blue at first but the pool company talked us out of it instead for one of the more colored selections with more colored pebbles. We really love our Aqua Blue selection. The reason we didn't go with the blue granite as it looks grayer in the shallow ends and we have a large wading pool which is only about a foot deep. Good Luck I know it is a tough decision!

Yep, it was me. :) Good luck! We changed from blue granite to black at the last minute. No regrets there either. French gray is nice too. Have you asked your PB to take you to see some pools with the finishes you are interested in?

Well, thanks again for that advice, because it really stuck with me!

So far I've seen Blue Granite in 3 different pools and Aqua Blue in 2 different pools.

I emailed the pool builder's office on Friday asking to see the Slate, Grey, and Cool Blue. If they don't have any to show me, then I'll get in touch with the Houston Pebble applicators.

I've got plenty of time, sadly. The tile won't be in for 1-2 weeks. That MIGHT give me enough time to make a decision!! Thanks again. Suz.

Thanks for posting this. Having a hard time choosing finish and tile. Our pb uses Wet Edge. I want an aqua color or turquoise. All the important decisions have been made.Now just want to make it pretty �� we were going with stacked stone on our wall, but now plan to use travertine and tile. I don't want to attract any creepy crawlers !!
Anyone used Wet Edge ? Any suggestions for a pretty Turquois finish ?

Look at Irish Cream. People don't realize it, but colors with a hint of Green like that one give stunning Aqua Blues. Not Green colors at all. Chances are, if you go with WetEdge you'll get a good install. Look up PoolworksTx website. They are a Houston plaster company that uses a lot of WetEdge and CLI. They have some decent pics on their site of both brands too see. :goodjob:

Patrick: Thanks so much! I will look at the Irish Cream (and maybe drink some, too!). At this point, I'm willing to look at anything. LOL! After this post, I'm heading right over to the Poolworks TX site. The pools I've seen, just haven't looked natural. Know you're busy, so appreciate your time. Just heard West Texas is in for storms today. Ya'll stay safe! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Magicruiser: Patrick's post has some great leads for ya'll. Isn't it crazy, this choosing a pool finish? As you said, we know the structural and mechanical decisions were the important ones, but these "pretty" choices keep us going in circles! I guess it's the abundance of products and choices. Be sure to let us know what you find and decide. Include those pictures if you have 'em. Good luck! Suz.

Reactions: Clbridges
Wjr75: Thanks for your thoughts on Aqua Blue. I agree with you on Blue Granite being more gray on the shallows. The Aqua Blue definitely gives a nicer blue on the shallow steps. Do you have any photos you think show the true colors? Can you post?

I really appreciate everyone's input!! Take care. Suz.

Patrick and Suz
Thanks for your help. Yes, great site for Wet Edge pictures !! I think I'll go with either Irish Cream, Aqua Blue, Southern Lights (all included in our quote ) or Emerald Coast ( not sure if this one is included ). Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions.
Those of you in Houston, where do you get your pool tile ? What are you thinking about ? I love the 1x1's but we're only allowed 6x6. And don't want to pay extra to upgrade. I'll be looking for Aqua tiles, maybe beige ???

Are you ready, cuz I could write a book about tile!!!! I thought I would never make up my mind. I can't tell you which to choose first - tile or pool finish. I think you can go either way. I did tile first because in the build stages, that comes first. I was determined to have a blue waterline tile, even though I was told by some it's outdated and/or hard to match with watercolor. Well, I don't give a darn if something is outdated (I'M outdated). Second, I think all blues go together, so I wasn't worried about that.

Then I fell in love with a glass tile that I really shouldn't have bought (but I did!). To cut corners, I bought enough just to do the waterline tile in the spa and sprinkle a few other places. I spent weeks trying to find a blue waterline tile for the main pool that would compliment the glass tile. I couldn't make it work. Something just wasn't right, you know?! I finally let it go and went with a beige 6x6 tile. As soon as I gave up on the blue, everything clicked and was easy, so I'm pretty sure I did the right thing.

If you love the 1x1's, find a 6x6 you love and get a little bit of the 1x1's in the same line. Do like me and use the 1x1's for the waterline in just the spa. (Oops, I cant remember if ya'll are getting a spa...) If you don't have a spa, find another place to trim with the 1x1's, like maybe trim the steps or a step out or something. It wouldn't take too much, so maybe the upgrade wouldn't be unreasonable. Try not to cheat yourself of something you love!

In the WetEdge, I love the Irish Cream. I think Patrick made good points about it. I was so -so about the Aqua Blue, although I think it would show nicely on any shallow features like steps or a sun shelf. I didn't look this morning at Emerald Coast or Southern Lights. I'll try to check those out either today or tomorrow.

If you haven't looked at it, check out my pool thread. I show some different pictures of tile. For me, the best way to look at them was to stand up the tiles on the gunite so I could see them from inside the house. I left them there for days and saw them in all kinds of daylight and clouds, etc. That made a huge difference. It sounds obvious, but I didn't think about doing that at first and just kept looking at them for a few minutes outside, then take them back inside the house.

Back to tile.... My favorite tile place was MasterTile. They have a great selection. I also liked Noble Tile because the girl there was so helpful. They have pretty tile, and she was good with colors, etc. I also went to NPT, which was ok, but they have a very small selection. At a desperate attempt to get me to make up mind, my PB sent me to MSI stone near Beltway 8 and the Hardy Tollway. It was absolutely gorgeous with wonderful displays. They were a little more pressure oriented, and I believe your builder must have an account there (the other places didn't ask for my builder until I had made decisions). If you can, I strongly recommend you go to MSI first to get some great ideas. Their products are beautiful, but I still ended up going back to MasterTile. I think I was almost overwhelmed at MSI, but well worth it for ideas. Also, MSI did NOT want to give me samples or even a catalog. I think that soured me on them a little. The other places almost threw at me whatever I wanted!!!

I hope something here helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! Take care! Suz.

Magicruiser: I looked twice, but I didn't see Emerald Coast. I did see Southern Lights. Of the ones, you mentioned, my favorite is Irish Creme. Be sure to see one in person if at all possible and wade in the pool to feel the pebbles. Take care! Suz.

The water color is so pretty! It looks better than the 2 I saw down here. Your pool is gorgeous! I haven't seen a wading pool like that. It's terrific! That's an awesome slide - do you go on it?

Thanks so much for posting your pictures! I hope we can get a large assortment of pool water colors/finishes. Thanks for helping! Suz.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, even the adults go down the slide they are so fun! The wading pool is great for the little ones and the water stays really warm since there is a small wall between the main pool. Good luck on your selection. They all really look great in the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.