Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining the last 2 inches of water....advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

London, UK

Draining the last 2 inches of water....advice needed

Hi All,

I have an above ground permanent pool which doesn't have any kind of drain plug. Instead, I use an electric submersible pump which is fantastic. The only issue is the last couple of inches of water. The pool isn't huge (14ft octagonal) but its large enough to take me ages and back breaking work to drain this water with a bucket. What I need is a small pump I can connect a short length of hose to and use this to drain the water. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips?

2. Back To Top    #2

Oakbank, Canada

Re: Draining the last 2 inches of water....advice needed

It's called a pony pump. You hook garden hose up to it at both ends.

- - - Updated - - -

My utility pump sucks down to 1/4" and then I use towels to soak up the rest. Allows me also give the pool a good cleaning at the same time.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Draining the last 2 inches of water....advice needed

I'd lay a cheap dropcloth or even some plastic garbage bags in the bottom and fill them up to displace the dirty water and allow the pump to get the rest. They're cleaner than bricks. Then just empty them into the pool and fish 'em out for reuse
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!