SLAM in Process - Need Help!

May 17, 2015
Lafayette, IN
Hello and thank you for any help in advance!

We bought a PermaSalt pool last year and decided to convert it to chlorine at the beginning of this season using the method on the website. Due to some family reasons, the pool got in bad shape (algae!!) towards the end of the season. We ended up closing it green knowing we would have some work when opening it in the spring.

Well, I did lots of research on this site, purchased the Taylor K-2006 tester, and took out the PermaSalt tube and replaced it with normal PVC.

I used the test kit to do all the initial tests to see where we started they were:

FC: 0
CYA: 0
PH: 7.1
TA: 140

Did some adjusting on the PH to settle at 7.2 and then added the stuff needed to target a CYA of 40. Then started the SLAM process using PoolMath with an FC target of 16. Last weekend spent two days of testing FC every 1-2 hours and adjusting. Since getting a better handle on how quickly the FC changes (hasn't been all that sunny lately) test it 2-3 times/day. Been brushing, vacuuming, and backwashing daily.

Here are the couple tests I ran yesterday, a week after the process:

FC: 25
CYA: 30-40 range

Here's where I need help. It doesn't seem like much progress is being made. At this point, I was hoping to at least have the algae turn gray-white and beginning to die! I've added some pictures (all taken with grey skies) of what the pool looks like this morning. The algae always seems to settle in this same spot in the middle of the pool.

Also, the weather in Indiana has been a little all over the place. The water is still in that 55 degree range. Could that be slowing the process?
IMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0106.jpgIMG_0109.jpg

First let me welcome you to TFP. Congrats on your test kit and adjusting everything to proper levels before SLAM process. If you think the CYA is closer to 40 then target that.

The hard thing during a SLAM is POP (pool owner patience). I promise you if you keep FC up and brush lots as well as vacuum you will start to see a change.

What is your CC?

It's good that you didn't use the "system" for very long. The big issue is that PermaSalt uses copper and silver which are both very slow at killing things. Those metals will always be in your water, but levels will slowly go down through backwashing. Once you get past the SLAM you want to be careful not to let your pH get too high 7.8+ or the copper in the water can stain.

As Lisa said clearing up takes patience. Stick with the SLAM. Test and adjust back to shock level as often as possible.

If there's any organic debris hiding beneath the murkiness, that will slow you way down, and rob a lot of bleach.

Bleach is an oxidizer - think flameless combustion. It's trying to burn up leaves and twigs and whatever else that might be in there that could be considered combustible. Try vacuuming blind. If the filter starts loading up and pressure skyrockets, you know there was something down there.

Following up a week later....still not much progress made. It's looking more clear, but still getting the green circle in the middle after things settle.

Tests last night were:
FC: 23.5
CC: 0.5
CYA: 30

Trying to stay patient, but my husband is starting to challenge the method. I think we are at about 45-50 bleach bottles in (8.25%) and now two full weeks (on weekend #3).

Thank you for all the encouragement!! I'll try to get some pictures in here later today since the sun is (finally) shining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.